| Chapter 13

"Reports are coming in that the Pylons have ignored all attempts made by the city to ensure repairs are made to their ship. While it continues to fly, many wonder 'for how long?' And what happens if it falls? We will update when we have more information."

My mom sat on the couch in our living room, watching the sudden news update disrupting her show. She had a routine, which happened every night. After a shower, she'd place her rollers in her hair and change into her comfiest robe. Tea would follow, as well as her favorite novelas. Once sleep hit like a freight train, she'd make her way to her room.

The fact that I had come home earlier than expected didn't change that. Nor did the news and their 'Pylon updates.'

As the channel switched to commercials, I leaned against the archway leading into our kitchen. I hated when my mother watched 'disasters' on the news; it wasn't healthy to obsess over the negatives. Considering it involved her most loved and favorite topic of them all, the aliens, made it worse.

Sometimes it's good we don't live in the city.

"Mom?" I cleared my throat to get my mother's attention. When she looked at me, I pushed off the wall and walked towards the couch. "Don't watch that stuff. I told you it's okay over there."

"Hm?" With her mug against her lips, she glanced at me. "Oh, it's okay. I know. You told me."

I did.

When Gus scooped me up to take me back to my uncle's, I decided I couldn't stay. There wasn't a reason to. I'd been in the city for the fair, to learn and educate myself on the history of the Pylons. Since it was closed and I had no chance to find out anything new, what else could I do? After pieces of the alien ship fell from the sky and nearly crushed me and Vera, and her Pylon family made a scene in the street, I thought I had enough action for one weekend. For a lot of weekends.

I had to run back home to the safety of my quiet town.

"And you're so chill about it," I laughed as I sat on the armrest of the couch. I scratched the side of my head. "For someone who watches the news like crazy, I thought you'd be scared over here."

"Scared?" My mother snorted and rolled her eyes. She sipped her tea as she sighed. "There's nothing scary on the news. They always say things like this."

I looked at her, confused. "Drama about the Pylon ship? This isn't the first time it's happened?"

"What?" My mother blinked at me before placing her mug on our coffee table. "Oh, no, the ship falling apart is new; that's never happened before."

"Then?" I watched as my mother stood from the couch and stretched. I didn't stand with her. "I don't get it."

"Ah, Gus," my mother laughed, "you don't watch the news. You're so different from the other kids, you know. Always outside, outdoors. You don't follow the media."

I didn't. I also didn't have to. My mother was the one who kept me informed. She just... "Okay, I know, but you've never said this about the Pylons. You only say good things about them."

"Because there are only good things." Reaching for the remote, my mother turned off the television and stretched again. She smiled at me. "Your father and I didn't lie to you about them. They're good for us, even though a lot of people don't want to admit it."

I chewed on the insides of my cheek as she made her way around the couch. Before I could ask anything, she turned around. "At least once a year, the people really drill them in, you know? Make them out to be the bad guys. It's probably why they really wanted to leave. Who wants to deal with that?"