Chapter 10: Boo!

I paced back and forth in my room

Caden said"Can you stop? Or I will throw up all those pancakes." I sighed"I have an uncle. An uncle that I never knew of and is in an asylum. My uncle is in an asylum and I never knew that." Caden sighed"Sage, I'm serious when I tell you to stop pacing." I looked at him weird" You're worried about throwing up while I'm here going crazy by thinking that I have an uncle in a freaking asylum!"

"Trust me, I do but I can't help when those thirteen pieces of pancakes are threatening to come out of my mouth!"

I took a deep breath and sat down in my bed. He was on the sofa, I think trying to hold down those pancakes he ate. He stressed eat after the bomb dad dropped on us.

Caden said"Does it bother you? Knowing that maybe you have an uncle out there?" I nodded"A lot. And knowing that he's gone through what I'm going through is just... just scary." He chewed the inner part of his cheek like he was deep in thought and then he said"The asylum doesn't exist." I furrowed my brows" What?" He sighed"The asylum doesn't exist. There is no asylum in Maple Town. Not anymore."

"How do you know that?"

He shrugged"Sometimes I get bored so I read the history of the town we live in." He stood up from the couch and grabbed my laptop, sitting next to me with the laptop on his lap.

He typed in the password and my eyes widened"How did you know?" He looked at me"8-7-2-7-4-3-7. Also the numerical number for T-H-R-A-S-H-E-R. It wasn't that hard to figure out, Sage." He looked around my room"The word THRASHER is everywhere in your room. The wall, the keychain, your pencil box, and also the shirt you're currently wearing." I looked down at my white shirt and then at him"Remind me to change my password." He scoffed"What are you going to keep your new password? Skateboard sensei?" My eyes widened because he was correct. I lied"Pffft... No! Something clever."

Like SkateboardMaster maybe.

He rolled his eyes and began typing on safari"So... what I know about the asylum is that it was closed down in the 90s. Part of some kind of breaking violation laws against innocent people. And I also know that the asylum building is located a little outside of Maple Town. I think two hours from here." He typed about the asylum and all that came up was a retired home. We looked at each other and he clicked on the link.

It was a website for an elderly house. There were pictures of old men and women smiling with a rose background behind them. Some pictures of the nurse male or female. And right on the top was the patient search bar. He clicked on the magnifying shape and asked"Shall we try it?" I nodded and he typed Gabriel Asher. And there was only a picture we found.

He did look a little bit like dad though

He did look a little bit like dad though. I asked, "Do you think he's dead?" Caden looked at me"Only one way to find out. Let's go on that road trip."

X

Oh shit!

We're doing this. We're doing this!

I lied to mom that I will be in Caden's house all night and that I will come back a little late. It took a lot of convincing but she finally agreed.

I was in Caden garage. Standing near his car. Holding my baseball bat. He looked at me funny"What is with you and bats?" I shrugged"Protection?" He sighed and got in as did I.

We began our trip. He had his phone on the dashboard with the navigation voice turned on. As the voice said, "Turn right in 12th Maple Street." He took a right turn.

I leaned back in the seat trying to calm my nerves down because I was panicking for no reason at all. I heard a whisper in my ear"Boo!" I screamed and Caden screamed with me, almost hitting his car with another. I looked back and saw Blue in the back of the car seat. She laughed and Caden asked, "Why'd you scream?!" I answered"Blue. Blue is here." I saw the grip of his on the steering wheel tighten as he gulped but kept driving.

She chuckled"Where you two weirdos off to?" I explained to her"We found out that this craziness is actually in my DNA. And that it started with an uncle of mine that I didn't know existed in an asylum. So we're paying a visit, hoping that he is alive." She nodded her head"Nice." I looked at Caden as he said"Man, I gotta admit... I might not see my sister in the back seat, but you talking is just plain weird." I rolled my eyes"I guess weird is in my DNA too." Blue said, "Tell my idiot brother that I don't miss him at all." I knew she was lying. I said to Caden"Blue says she misses you." She tried to smack me in the head but her hand went through"I didn't say to tell him that you idiot!" Caden chuckled"Yeah, right! Blue would never say that." I shook my head at them both. It's weird how much similar they were.

X

The car ride was mostly quiet even with Blue sometimes appearing and disappearing.

We passed a huge board saying:

'Au Revoir. We hope you enjoyed your stay and come back soon!'

We were finally out of Maple Town. The sun was slowly setting down and I was getting tired from sitting the whole time. My legs were mostly asleep. Caden stopped the car and I realized that there was a detour up ahead. I looked at his phone for the navigation and it said that the retired house was only 10 minutes from here. Caden looked at and said"If I'm not wrong, there's a short cut through the forest. But I don't think we can go by car." I sighed and got out of the car, stretching my legs as Caden parked it on the side.

I grabbed my bag pack from the side and also the baseball bat. And we made our way through the forest.

I wished that it was still morning because the forest looked scary with the sun going down slowly. Blue was with us the whole time and Caden was mostly on his phone, trying to figure out directions.

I asked Blue"So, what's your favorite color?" She smiled"Weirdly, I like blue." I again asked, "Did you dated that Ryan guy?" She stopped in her tracks and asked"Sage, who's Ryan?"

She doesn't remember the boy she saw kissing in her photos yesterday?

I looked up and there were people scattered everywhere around us. I stopped walking. Looking around at people everywhere. Quiet and staring at us. Standing there like statues. I looked up at the trees and people were hanging with a rope around their neck, staring down at us. Blue whispered with a tremble"Are seeing what I see?" I gulped and slowly nodded my hand. Caden furrowed his brows at me"Sage, are you okay? What's wrong?" But I couldn't answer him as I was scared to the core.

What are we going to do?

•••••

Hi, guys!

Hope you liked this chapter. The next one is my favorite! Swipe up!

Please vote and comment your thoughts about how are you liking this story.

Love, Hope

♥️♥️