4. A Murderous Break-In

chapter four / a murderous break-in

                           WITH THE START OF OCTOBER, Cassie was more than happy to see Harry's mood lift significantly since he was foretold of his death in Divination. She didn't know why he was so good-spirited until a sign on the notice board caught her attention;

'QUIDDITCH TRYOUTS : THIS THURSDAY! BE AT THE QUIDDITCH PITCH BY SIX-THIRTY SHARP! NO EXCEPTIONS! BRING YOUR OWN BROOM. BE THERE OR BE SQUARE. WE WILL NOT LOSE TO SLYTHERIN THIS YEAR!!
Signed sincerely by Oliver Wood, Quidditch captain.'

    Cassie knew Harry was quite the Seeker. Well, she didn't exactly know, more rather had been told legends, but none that she didn't believe. Hopefully he was as good as he'd been rumored to be, as Cassie figured from the furious underline beneath the last line of the poster; Gryffindor had to beat Slytherin.

      She caught Cedric in the hall the day after Quidditch tryouts had been announced.

     "Excuse her!" he yelled, a smiling face heads above the rest of the students. "Cassie's coming through! Let her in! Excuse you!"

    "I was going to wish you good luck for tryouts," she informed him, cheeks flushed with embarrassment once she'd made her way through the crowd. "But now.."

    "Oh, come off it," Cedric scoffed lightly, playfully pushing her arm.

     She laughed and ran a hand through her hair, letting out a huff. "Come now, Diggory. You won't even need my luck, if you're half as good as these people make you out to be..."

    "I sure hope I am. Thank you, I really need it. There's another girl trying out for seeker, and she's just brilliant, from what I can tell. It'll be close. And I know I'm your favorite fifth year in the whole school—"

    "Oi!" Atticus's voice exclaimed suddenly and from out of nowhere, shoving his way next to Cedric. His nose and cheeks were flushed pink, and Cassie couldn't help but wonder if it was result of the cold weather or if Atticus had just finished talking to a girl. He scrunched up his face. "Favorite fifth year? Says who?"

    "You aren't even a fifth year," Cedric pointed out, his eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

     Atticus shoved him on the shoulder.

     Cedric's jaw dropped. "Watch it, mate!" he said, emphasizing his words with a shove of his own.

    Atticus shoved him again. "You watch it!"