An Aggressive Confrontation

Scabior~

I sat on my bed, watching the last bit of sunlight disappear behing he trees from my window. Tonight would be the last time I would do that for a while. I looked down at the book on my lap, considering reading it for at least the seventh time since I had gotten it almost three weeks ago. I opened it up to the front cover, studying the words closely, but not really retaining them.

"Hello, Button." Mum came through the door, and I looked up at her, smiling at the nickname. "Reading that book again, I see? You're going to be so far ahead of everyone else in your class." She walked into the room and sat down beside me. I closed the Defense Against the Dark Arts book and Mum took it, putting on the almost completely packed trunk at the end of the bed. "It's going to be okay, Button. Just make sure that you get enough rest tonight."

"I'm not sure I can get to sleep. I'm so nervous."

"You'll do fine. You're a good boy, Button. You'll make plenty of friends, and you're going to have lots of fun. Just remember to do all of your work, and work hard to get good marks."

"I know, Mum." I leaned over, hugging her. She hugged me back, putting her chin on top of my head.

"What House do you think I'll be sorted into?" I asked after we stayed quiet for a few moments.

"I don't know, Button." She finally let go, an I set back up. "You could fit into any of them, really. You're brave like a Gryffindor, cunning like a Slytherin, clever like a Ravenclaw, and loyal like a Hufflepuff. You're such a good boy, Button. Always doing the right thing. I am so glad my son is such a good boy."

"Thank you, Mum." I replied. She sighed and looked at the clock on the wall.

"You should get going to bed. It's going to be a big day, tomorrow."

"I guess you're right." I nodded, and stood up. As did she. I began pulling back my blankets as she watched. I got under them and laid down, laying my head on the pillow. Mum leaned over me.

"Sleep well, Button." She leaned over and kissed my cheek. I looked up at her.

"Mum, may I take your book, if you don't mind?"

"Which one?" She asked, puzzled. "We have a whole Library full."

"The Lord of the Rings ones." I clutched onto my sheet, hoping with all my might she would say yes. She really enjoyed those books, so I wanted them with me to think of her.

"Of course, Button. Take what ever you want. Just take good care of them, like I know you will."

"I will, Mum. I promise."

.................................................................

"What is this?!" An older student sneered, taking the copy of 'The Fellowship of the Ring' out of my hands. I had been in the Common Room, reading, quietly minding my own business.

"It's a book, but I wouldn't expect you to know that." I retorted. I had been an official member of the House of Slytherin for a little under a week, and I had already learned that being polite didn't work with these people. I don't know what made the Sorting Hat put me here, but it defiantly wasn't due to my morals and conduct. Not all, but most students I had encountered in my House were either verbally rude, or kept to themselves an didn't talk out loud very often.

"What's that suppose to mean?" He fiercely showed his teeth.

"What ever you want it to mean." I shrugged. He turned the book towards him, reading the cover.

"Who is J.R.R. Toilken? I've never heard of him."

"Probably because he's a Muggle author." I shrugged, trying to get the book back. That was apparently the wrong thing to say, because his eyes instantly got wide.

"Why are you reading this junk?!" He exclaimed, making a the rest of the people in the Common Room turn towards us. The boy that I recognized at the Fifth Year Prefect by his long, white blond hair, approached.

"What are you doing, Amycus? This kid is like, four years younger than you. Leave him alone."

"He's reading this Muggle rubbish." The attacker, presumably Amycus, handed the book over to the Prefect.

"I-What is your name?" The Prefect took it, turning to me. I started at him a moment, startled .I wasn't sure what he was going to do to me, but I had a pretty good idea that it wasn't going to be pleasant. There was no way I was going to tell him my real name.

"My name is Samwise." I quickly lied, using the first name that appeared in my head. "

"Samwise what?"

"Gamgee."

"Well, Gamgee, I would encourage you to dispose of this trash, otherwise your life may turn into a living hell, and very soon. Many of us, including myself, do not approve of this filthy Muggle culture. I assume you are Muggleborn?" He said it like one would refer to something unpleasant.

"What?" I questioned. I had never heard the term before.

"Are your parents Muggles?"

"No. They can both do magic." I replied curtly. He laughed.

"Then you're a Pureblood? Ha! You better be careful about what you associate with yourself, or things will get very hard very soon. I know. I'll make sure off it." The Prefect slyly grinned.

"Oh, okay..."

"Would you like for me to dispose of it for you?" He offered. Looked at the novel, still in his hands. It really was a beautiful volume, with gilded pages and lovely illustrations. Most importantly, it was my mothers favorite book, and it would hurt her if anything happened to it. But on the other hand... I was new here. I had to learn the law of the land. The last thing I needed was to have a Prefect on my bad side. If he wen through on his promise, my Hogwarts experience would be ruined.

I let my gave float upward, looking him in the face. I could tell that he was looking for weakness, and I wasn't going to let him see it.

"Yes. I would." I forced myself to curly say. Both the Prefect and Amycus smiled.

"Great." The Prefect turned around, and quickly through the book into the lighted fireplace.

I watched at the pages caught on fire, making the flame bigger. I fisted my hands at my side, pressing my fingernails into my palms. That was my mother's favorite book, but oh well. It was either me or it. I would have to learn their ways, otherwise, I would be ostracized. It needed to save myself before caring for anyone else.