March 13, 2005

Callahan felt sorry for leaving Carter and Gin to sit on this one, but they just wouldn't do. Murray was by far the only one that could adjust to such scenarios, and going without Lancaster was out of question. The lights burned bright, they would have left spots in his vision if it weren't for the aviator sunglasses that he had specifically purchased for this event.

Dinner meetings were always a weapons-free zone, and that made him sweat. There was nothing more concerning that being unarmed in enemy territory. If he had carried his real name, he would have felt like an open target, but he wasn't that unprepared. No, he had been planning out how that evening would go for months.

"Polonsky?" One of the two men guarding the main entrance asked, whipping out a list of names. Callahan nodded with a brief smile, then passed the guards. The building sure was the symbol of prestige, its glimmering exterior and carved marble pillars were enough to captivate any guest, whether they were American or foreign. But Callahan had become immune to such, after seeing expensive villas of oil lords go down in less than a second, he knew no beauty was built to last.

Mr. White was the man he had come there for, for the most part. He had heard the name from a few friends and informants, and began to think it was just a bit too much for a coincidence. It's not like it was an official, state-approved meeting, it was simply "good old friends meeting up for a pleasant dinner together", and nothing more. But if the press caught word of all the big names that would be at the table, the government would know something's up.

After oil, the arms industry was the second largest market in the world. The flow of arms and capital was consistent, and even during times of temporary or long-term peace the business did not run dry, it never did. That's what made it such a profitable, powerful and sure-proof field for businessmen like Callahan. But not everyone could handle it, emotionally at least, but also for the complexity. One needed to be able to see through the gaps and cracks and make out the thin red threads connecting each person, company and government.

He despised suits, they made him weigh a ton and sweat bricks. But he couldn't really complain either, it came with the job, and when he was out traveling at least he could switch to something a bit more casual. "Wouldn't recognize you if I didn't know you", He snarled at Lancaster, who was trying not to make it too obvious that she was his bodyguard. But it was hard enough for her to blend in, wear a custom-made dress and not carry a gun. She hated these kinds of jobs.

"What are you saying? She's a graceful young lady", Murray laughed. Lancaster rarely got worked up when she received comments on her muscular appearance, but when Murray tried to provoke her he always succeeded. They were old friends after all, been there from the start.

A secretary went around to hand everyone a transcript, which Callahan scrolled through immediately. When he found the topic that he had been looking for, he sighed, they had come on the right night. Callahan, was plastered in italic on the last page, they were saving it for the last discussion topic of the night. He wasn't surprised, but it was not going to please his men to know that they had to play nice all night long.

"So, Polonsky, what do they say back at Switzerland?" Mr. White questioned. Callahan quietly twirled the drink in his hand. "Hmm, can't say for sure. But it's likely to lean left if it has to". This was risky business, he had to keep from using his mouth as much. Mr. White seemed surprisingly pleased with the information, although it could have very well turned out to be the exact opposite.

Three hours passed, and the investors had started to get tipsy. They had anticipated that this would happen to everyone, but they didn't know what Polonsky looked like, or that he'd be so young. He could hold the wine even when they couldn't, and that was not as per what they had had in mind. The conversation was finally starting to move towards the actual topic of the meeting, and everyone wanted it to be over soon.

Mr. White sighed and rubbed his short grey beard. What to do, what to do? Must have been what he was thinking. "Let's get straight to the point, no need to beat around the bush. It's just us here, lads". The man said that but still asked for another bottle of wine to be brought in. Callahan listened intently to the murmurs of the other guests, trying his best to make out what their stance was going to be.

A woman, likely a secretary, was standing in for one of the bankers who was known to support Fitzgerald. Ever since Callahan noticed her, he knew she would use her wits to persuade the other guests into agreeing to her terms. She crossed her arms over the table, leaning over to inspect the pamphlet closely. "What if the market crashes? What are you going to do then?" She took a sip of coffee and shot an arrogant glare at the men. "What if the war ends?" Callahan decided to ask in return. The woman turned her gaze to him, having not properly acknowledged him before.

Callahan's question made everyone in the room rather uneasy, but they could not deny that he had a point. While Mr. White pondered over what to say next, the other investors began to converse more casually. Callahan could make out the confusion, stress and controversy that had filled the meeting, but that was alright. "The house would breath down our necks", One man, the eldest so far, said. He was not lying, everyone knew that.

No agreement could be reached within the first quarter, and not even by the end of the second quarter. No one wanted to arouse conflict, but outside of a dinner setting it would be inevitable. "I like Callahan, I really do. But don't you think it's doing a bit too well?" Someone noted. The person continued to list the civilian casualties and use of mercenaries that the company had been accused of but never caught red-handed.

Lancaster shifted on her chair, crossing her legs for the first time Callahan had ever seen. She looked like a completely different person with just a change of clothes and some makeup on her face. It didn't sit right calling her just a paid gun. "But the other option would be Fitzgerald. What does he know? You think he don't use hired muscle?" Callahan wondered. He probably shouldn't have said that, but it was hard to control his tongue at that point.

Lucky for him, what he had said seemed to linger into the conversation. People murmured and nodded, their voices turning softer and lower.

Murray opened the car door for the two others to get in. "Who the hell is Polonsky?" Murray asked as soon as they had left the estate. Callahan couldn't help but laugh at his curiosity: "Some governor, double-crossed me back in the day".