Chapter 19

"Do that again." Mark demanded.

Haerin nodded her head, showing Mark her power of shooting a bolt of darkness from her fingers.

"And you really just got that just now?" Mark asked.

Haerin nodded her head. "Yeah, I was just fooling around."

Mark rubbed his temples. "Hecate wasn't kidding about you."

"You two talked about me?" Haerin exclaimed, making the bolts of darkness dissipate into thin air.

"Yeah." Mark said, leaning back on his arms. "She told me I'm not special."

"What do you mean?" Haerin asked, narrowing her eyes.

Mark lifted his hand and that's when Haerin saw it.

It could have easily been missed if you blinked, but with Haerin's heightened abilities, she easily saw it.

A small bolt of electricity, between Mark's thumb and index finger.

"You probably have a billion questions for me." Mark said with a sigh. "I just answered all of Haechan's so I'm sort of exhausted."

"Just cut to the chase." Haerin told him. "When was the last time you saw Hecate and what did you two talk about today."

"I saw Hecate last night in my dreams." Mark told her. "I passed out immediately, I didn't know I was doing all... that."

Haerin felt her cheeks burn as she recalled the previous night's events. "It's fine."

"Anyways, she came to me in my dream and showed me everything that happened today. It was like deja vu, living through it all again."

"Did you take the path on the right in your dream?" Haerin asked, referring to the crossroads.

Mark nodded his head. "Yes, I did."

"How was it in your dream?" Haerin asked. "Did we find Dasom and the others?"

Haerin stared into Mark's eyes as he gulped. "It didn't get that far."

He's lying.

"Anyways, today, it really wasn't that long. Hecate must have manipulated time so that we went slower than yours. She just told me that someone else had magical powers as strong as mine. I should have known it was you."

Mark's laugh couldn't have been faker as he forced the sound out.

"That's it?" Haerin asked, unimpressed. Mark nodded.

"Yup. That's all."

He's suspicious. Very suspicious.

"Anyways, I just wanted to check up on you. Goodnight Haerin."

Haerin watched as the male got up, exiting her tent.

"Goodnight Mark."

...

Haerin hated liars. They made her uncomfortable and lose trust. And that was what Mark Lee was now.

Haerin was quiet as she followed the boys, purposely lagging behind. She noticed that Jisung would glance back at her every now and then but the other three didn't really seem to care.

During lunch, she was asked to go hunt with Jisung while the other three prepared the fire. She followed Jisung into the woods, looking for any animal that they can kill for food.

"What happened, noona?" Jisung asked, once they were out of earshot from the others. "You're not normally like this."

"Do the others ever lie to you?" Haerin asked.