Once Upon a Time

Author: The GORGEOUS cover art was made by none other than the fabulous EnormouseWritour! So happy to have her as the illustrator! Please consider commissioning her at https://linktr.ee/mizelainous !

...

Once Upon a Time,

There was a creature who had a frozen heart

Everywhere it went, it brought snowstorms

that could tear kingdoms apart

All alone it remained

Looking down at humans with great disdain

The villagers feared it and the storms it brought

They could not help it, it was what they'd been taught

But there is one who did not listen to any of the above

What everyone feared, one young man dared to love.

The hunting party made it to their last stop before they reached the area known as Dead Man's Peak

The hunting party made it to their last stop before they reached the area known as Dead Man's Peak. The weather up in these parts was ruthless, and the snow was an almighty force against those that dared step forth, for this mountain was home to one of the most feared creatures in the land. They had one goal: capture the thing and bring it back to their village... if they were so lucky to see it.

The leader of the wolf pack was Elrond, who had sought this beast since he was a child, and was certain that when he finally brought it back for all to see that it indeed was real, he would be lauded among his people. He had spent thirty-two long years hunting it down, but never had he made it past the sharp ridges of these mountains that it called home. While his group of men would be satisfied just to see the creature, Elrond could never be free until he made use of it. Perhaps the mighty winters would stop and the sorry fools down in the village could finally have a bountiful harvest, or their families could make it through the season without a case of pneumonia. Hopefully what he gained from bringing home his kill would give him enough to get out of the sad little town.

The men were laughing around their roaring campfire—it was to be expected, since they were all intoxicated on the mead and beer they'd brought along, but Elrond had meant to let them have it in rations since it was only there to keep them warm and nothing else. Let them laugh, he thought, Lord knows they won't be when they see what we're up against. The woods around them were dark, snow tumbled gently through the air as it normally did this high up. The air was heavy and frigid.