#3 A matter of time

💀 - I'll write you a blurb

( and )warnings: cheating, pure angst8. "I've been waiting a long time."9. "You're in love with her."21. "Sometimes, being a complete nerd comes in handy."

You weren't sure when the beginning of the end had started. Maybe he got bored, maybe you were a distraction or maybe he never really loved you at all. Either way, could you really be mad at him? You should have seen it coming — you just weren't enough for him. Not like she was, anyway.

The fire was dull in its hearth, the warmth having little to no effect as you sat cold and numb in your seat. Unusual for the Gryffindor common room, but not for you. Not after that day when you saw Remus sneaking out with another girl. Not after you saw the way he looked at her.

The door creaked open, and your eyes met his. "I've been waiting a long time," you said coolly, crossing your legs as you watched him slump into the sofa opposite.

He ran a hand through his hair, refusing to look at you for longer than absolutely necessary. "Prefect duties kept me," he mumbled.

"I'm not stupid, Remus."

"What are you even talking about?" he said, apparently completely placid. But you knew him well, and like always, he was lying.

"Sometimes, being a complete nerd comes in handy. You see things, hear things... And you certainly know how to find things out," you breathed, trying to keep your voice steady as your body trembled.

"Y/N, you don't know anything!" he snapped, amber eyes set ablaze. You winced, not used to the sudden burst of emotion. He had been practically polar for the last month.

"Oh, you're right."

"What?" he blinked, his expression dropping to complete confusion.

"I mean — it must have so hard for you," you said, putting a hand on your chest as you tried for a simper. "Having to sneak around without me noticing."

"For Merlin's sake, can't you just have a conversation like an adult?!"

"Fine! Let's talk then, shall we? About how you led me on? How you lied to me?" you said, your voice rising as your heart thumped in your chest.

"Y/N-"

"You're in love with her," you laughed, shaking your head as the tears finally slipped from your eyes.

"Y/N, listen to me-"

You marched over to him, grabbing him by the collar as you searched his face for the Remus you thought you knew. He glared at you as your eyes scanned him for any reminisce that it wasn't true; that he cared, that he hadn't hurt you, and that it wasn't real.

But he didn't look sorry at all.

So you did all you could, and you shoved him away. He didn't want you, and he probably never had. It was only a matter of time until you realised. Or at least, until you found out.

Fin.