The Boys

I hung back a little as Ayla and Lexi snuggled into their boyfriends' arms. I didn't actually fit into this crowd. I'm not really a country girl. Most country music makes me want to explode my ear drums and I would never be seen in camo. I don't mind the trucks and parties, but I'm just different than them. The only reason I was friends with Ayla was because I used to go to Augusta high with her. We had biology together, and I saved her grade big time.

I'm a kind of girl that loves having fun, but I usually wear something black and listen to rock music. So it was a bit of an understatement to say I didn't know how to interact with these people. Turns out, it wasn't really necessary.

"Who's the chick?" Carson asked in general, peeling his eyes away from my chest.

Ayla sighed and punched his arm. "That's McKenna, Lexi's sister." I could see the gears turning in his head as he processed this information. My little sister is thin as a wisp, with long, strawberry blonde hair and the prettiest blue/green/gray eyes. Plus, the brat gets so dark when she tans, while I stay pale tan. We're total opposites. She's the sun and I'm the dark side of the moon.

"Don't hurt yourself trying to think dude. We have different dads," I say, shifting my weight to my other hip and crossing my arms under my breasts. Everyone laughed and I grinned, knowing I could rely on my wry humor to fit into the crowd.

"You'll have that," Carson said lamely, looking away as he spit tobacco juice. I rolled my eyes and turned my attention to Jacob and Adam, who were talking excitedly and messing around. Hunter and Lexi walked over and sat in the swings, and Hunter started trying to swing as high as he could. Soon, Mike and Adam joined in, and Lexi ran away as the entire structure began shaking and rocking. Mike tried jumping off at his apex and ended up falling on his ass, as everyone laughed and ridiculed him.

Now all of the boys were rough housing on the playground. They climbed all over the equipment and rocked on the little animals on springs. "You fat asses are gonna break those little things!" I yelled at them jokingly, laughing with everybody as these grown men acted like five year olds.

Hunter and Jacob raced to the tall-ish wooden post on the edge of the playground. Car tires were bolted to the post for kids to climb, and the boys started having a King of the Mountain war to see who could stay at the top longest. Adam shoved both Hunter and Jacob off and pounded on his chest like King Kong, challenging anyone to try to steal his post. I laughed at Carson when he leaped up on the tires and grabbed a hold of Adam's pants, telling them to leave the kinky stuff for the bedroom. Carson scowled at me and flipped me off and I giggled, loving pushing peoples' buttons.

Mike had managed to sneak over to the solitary slide and started racing down it as fast as he could, his hips barely fitting on the sheet of metal. This caught the boy's attention and they were soon lined up. They all were going down as fast as possible, pushing and shoving each other in line. Hunter sat in Jacob's lap once and Lexi and Ayla mocked them mercilessly.

This sudden bout of energy was quickly spent, especially since all five of the boys were heavy smokers. They collapsed on the ground, panting and wheezing. "Wow. You guys fail so much. Sorry bunch of smokers," I laughed as we all lit our cigarettes, even the boys. We all lounged in a circle, and I was stuck between Ayla and Carson, who made a point to put as much distance between us as possible. I inwardly shrugged. I knew from the moment we met that I wasn't his type by a long shot, and he so wasn't mine. He just happened to like boobs.

As the last butts were smothered out, Ayla suggested that we play some volleyball, now that we had enough people for two small teams. James and I were in on Ayla's team, with Hunter, Jacob, Carson and Mike on the other team. The teams were far from fair, but Pam, Lexi, and Mike's girlfriend Liz opted out of physical activity and stayed in the shade.