Potions

Just the morning after the feast, Hermione met up with Ellie just outside the Hufflepuff common room.

"Good morning, sleeping beauty," Hermione greeted with a smile.

"Morning, Hermione," Ellie chuckled as she went in for an embrace.

"Let's go, shall we?" Hermione asked, extending her arm for Ellie to take.

After a quick breakfast, the duo headed to the Potions classroom, mingling their way across the floods of students. They entered the classroom and were greeted by Professor Slughorn, who ushered them to the back of the room with the rest of the students. Slughorn gave an odd look to Ellie, studying her face for an uncomfortable amount of time before darting his eyes to the gold ring on her finger. Ellie thought nothing of it and proceeded to walk to the back of the classroom.

The lesson droned on for Ellie, who tuned out his words since the beginning. She was immediately snapped back into reality by Hermione, who nudged her arm gently, gesturing for her to pay attention.

"Attention to detail in the preparation is the prerequisite of all planning," Slughorn continued.

Harry and Ron walked into the room, dragging their feet as they entered with sullen faces. Slughorn turned around to face the two.

"Ah. Harry, my boy, I was beginning to worry. We've brought someone with us, I see."

Ron adjusted his bag, giving a smirk of confidence. "Ron Weasley, sir. But I'm dead awful at Potions, a menace, actually. So I'm probably just gonna-"

Ron tried to shuffle his way back to the door but was stopped by Harry.

"Nonsense, we'll sort you out. Any friend of Harry's is a friend of mine. Get your books out."

"Sir, I haven't actually got my book yet, and nor has Ron," Harry explained.

"Get what you want from the cupboard," Slughorn dismissed as he turned back to face the group of students.

"Now, as I was saying, I prepared some concoctions this morning. Any ideas what these might be?" Slughorn asked, moving closer to the students.

Hermione shot up her hand, scaring Ellie, who stood beside her. Ellie rolled her eyes at her girlfriend sarcastically.

"Yes, Miss...?"

"Granger, sir."

Hermione proceeded to step forward to the table of potions.

"That one there is Veritaserum. It's a truth-telling serum. And that would be Polyjuice Potion. It's terribly tricky to make," Hermione started, pointing to each potion as she passed them.

From the corner of her eye, Ellie saw Ron and Harry fighting over each other at the cupboard. Ron looked triumphant as he turned around, holding a new book, while Harry held a tattered one.

"And this is Amortentia... the most powerful love potion in the world. It's rumored to smell differently to each person according to what attracts them. For example, I smell... freshly mown grass, and new parchment, and spearmint toothpaste... and... cinnamonandvanillacookies."

Hermione looked slightly embarrassed as she jumbled her words at the end.

"What was that at the end, Miss Granger?" Slughorn asked.

Hermione took a deep breath as she darted her eyes to Ellie. "Cinnamon and vanilla cookies," Hermione announced clearly.

Ellie let out a snicker, causing Slughorn to whirl around and face her.

"Ah, Miss Evans. Do you think this is humorous?"

Ellie's smirk dropped from her face as he called her out. "No, sir. And how do you know my name?"