Marital Rape

I was walking slowly and slowly. My face was red and my body was numb. I had a big cut near my eye and my leg. My body was covered in blood. I slowly climbed the stairs. Many questions were popping in my mind. I was hearing the voices of people. I couldn't handle my mind. Then, I blacked out.

"Wow, Sucheta! You are so lucky. Big house, luxurious car, rich family. What can anyone ask for? You have hit a jackpot."

"The bridegroom is educated as well. So, handsome as well. I wish he was my man." "You are looking so beautiful. You two will look amazing together."

While I was decorating my hand with mehendi, my sahelis were taunting me. I was being shy and couldn't speak a word.

"Don't taunt me. It is an arranged marriage. My parents found him for me. Nothing of a jackpot!".

I finally opened my mouth. Despite my words, my sahelis didn't stop teasing me. And yes, I call my friends 'sahelis'. Not that I don't love Nepali language, I find the word saheli a bit fascinating.

Yes, it was my marriage. It was 26 of Mangsir, 2075. And yes, It was the special day of my life. It was not as great as my dream marriage, but it was good. The bridegroom was Mr. Rajat Puri. He was a bank manager at Civil Bank. I was getting married to a rich family. I was from a middle class family. Surely, adjusting to a new and rich family was going to be difficult for me.

Rajat, a tall, handsome boy. He was in a black suit in the wedding. Literally, any woman can fall for him. Black suit in his fair complex was making him more handsome. I was 5'6 and he was about 6. I was in red lehenga in my marriage. I was sure that we would be the best looking couple.

It was a great marriage. Many big people were attending the marriage. I always thought the higher class people had great manners. As I was being a part of a high class family, I started behaving like them. I was damn sure that I was getting married in a special family.

I opened my eyes. A police officer was standing in front of me. I had blacked out for 10 minutes outside the police station. Yes, I was heading towards the police station.

"What is the matter? Can you speak?"

"I want to file a complaint." "A complaint? What happened to you?"

"I have been raped."

"Raped? You look young. A guess you are in your mid twenties. Must have been to late parties", he complained.

"A marital rape Sir!", I replied.

WOW! I was excited. First night of my married life. Is it going to be good? Or awkward?

The marriage was over. It was the time we went to bed. I was nervous. How can I sleep with the man I have never met before? Isn't it a bit illogical? So, I told him I was not ready for sex. But he started to scold me and throw the glasses at every corner of that room. I never expected my husband to act like a mad boy. As I was afraid, I let him touch my body.

The moment was too cheap and vulgar and too unimpressive to be naked in front of a person I hardly knew. I closed my eyes the whole time to avoid looking at him as he was also naked.

When that person grabbed my hand too tightly, it hurt. When he pressed my thighs and chest, and did that awkward thing called 'sex', I was suffocating. I had my tears rolling down but my mouth was shut. My husband must have been noticing but he didn't stop.

"Do you really want to file a case against your husband?"

"Why are you asking if I wanted to? Its rape. No matter if it is done by my husband or any stranger? Besides, there is no difference between a stranger and my husband", I said fearlessly.