Chapter 2

I couldn't stop thinking about Keith all night. Yes, I know its only been a couple of hours since I first laid eyes on him. Yes, I know I have a teensy-weensy obsession. It was just the way he made me feel, it made me smile. I felt special, like someone cared enough to go out of their way to take care of me.

          I thought about him so deeply that I missed the call for dinner. Even at the dinner table, I was daydreaming about him. I didn't notice that my mom was trying to get my attention. "Stevie! Earth to Stevie!" She snapped me out of my trance. "We're sitting right across from each other, have you not been hearing me yell?"

          "Sorry mom. I guess not."

          "Obviously. Where the heck is your head? And what is up with a C+ in science?" She kept rambling on about how I'm such a failure and how I won't contribute anything to society. Thanks mom for all your support, remember you haven't been Chicago's Best Model Citizen Miss-two-DUIs.

          My family at the dinner table is the same every night. Same conversations, same fights, the same food from last week, usually leftovers. Jack sits there and drinks about 3 beers, mom is yelling and insulting someone and Cara is secretly texting boys from under the table, I daydream about anything and everything. Everything is so routine around here.

          I put my dishes away and went to my room. I suddenly remembered that Keith gave me his number!!! I grabbed my phone and texted him. "Hey, its Stevie :)" it was hard to pick between a winky-face or smiley face. I went with smiley because I'm not that girl who you received a lap dance at the club and wants to have sex or something, right now, I'm just a friend.

           I heard the ping of my iPhone. "Hey!! Tbh I've been waiting for this text since school got out ;)" I melted then waited 30 seconds before texting him back so I won't seem desperate. Our conversation lasted almost all night. We talked about our home life. I talked about my accident, he talked about his autistic brother and single mother. The more we talked, the more I liked him. He's the guy I've been waiting for. Eventually, after helping myself into bed (a skill developed over the years) I fell asleep mid sentence.

           I woke up late and realized I was still in my clothes and I probably looked like crap. I got in my wheelchair and got my clothes on and quickly brushed my teeth and brushed my hair. The dreaded morning routine had started.

          When I got to school and Liz started to push me, I heard a familiar deep voice say, "Hey. Liz right? I'll take her since I have 1st period...it'll be easier for you." I picked the wrong day to look like total crap.

          As we went down the hallway, I realized that I was rambling aimlessly about unimportant things. I just shut up in fear that I was annoying him. 1st period was...different. Someone was actually talking to me instead of me being the crippled loser girl.

          At my school, you're allowed to go out for lunch as long as you're back for your next period. Sadly I can't drive so I don't have that privilege, except for today. Keith asked me to go have lunch with him. We went to the heavenly Subway. It was amazing, the Subway and the person I was with. Tuesday Status Report: Out of this world amazingly amazing.