Carnivals, cotton candy and hotties

[1]. Carnivals, cotton candy and hotties

You know how you tend to waste your time watching tv shows when you have work to do, important work. Well that was exactly what I was doing now and guess what, I was sitting in my bathroom and doing it. Wanna know why? Well that’s cos if my parents found out they’d cut off my carcasses and hang it on their wall. Wanna know why to that as well…..let’s just say my parents make Hitler look like a kitten.

Uhuh, that’s right my parents were super uptight and majorly strict.  I mean if you had a dad who studied law in Harvard and a mom who studied medicine in Cornell then ya I guess they were going to be…whatever it is they are.

“Darius you’re bathroom break was over 8 minutes ago” my mom asked from the other side. That’s right I had a 10 minute bathroom break every 2 hours. Actually I am kinda surprised I could get in the extra 8 minutes considering my next bathroom break would be 8 minutes less.

“Yes mother I’ll be out in a second” I called back.

I waited for another 2-3 minutes. Stuffed the laptop under my shirt and thanked god for the tendency of advancing technology to get smaller and smaller. I guess it was good thing that my room was right opposite the bathroom. I stuck my head out first and looked both ways in an act of caution and once the coast seemed pretty clear, I darted out of the bathroom and into my room. I rushed in, placed my laptop as it was previously, which was charging on my bed-side table and rushed back out to close the bathroom door.

My mom appeared in the hallway just in time for it to look as if I had just stepped out of the bathroom. I immediately clutched my stomach.

“Mother, I think something was wrong with the salmon from last night” I muttered making me sound sick to the stomach…literally.

“Hm, that’s impossible. Your father had the same thing last night and you know the only thing more sensitive than his stomach is a baby’s backside”

My eyes widened at my mother’s display or should I say attempt at humor. It was at times like this that I wondered, if, even I could have led a normal life, or had a normal mother, for that matter, if she hadn’t married my father.

“Uhh…” I uttered lamely as I was rendered speechlessly.

She gave me look and said “That never came out of my mouth however true it might be” she said while trying to suppress a slight smile. Now this, this definitely convinced me that mom was on pills. Cos, I mean come on. She’s trying to crack joke AND smile. Now that was a feat not possible.

“Okay” I squeaked and scrambled back to my room and leaned against the closed door. I let out a breathy chuckle and shook my head in disbelief.

I slowly made my way back to my desk. As I sat down and glanced at my advanced calculus homework, my mind began to drift to Marshall and how he had had a make out session with his bff. Now what im talking about is the greatest TV show in the history of TV shows on this planet. The United States of Tara. If you haven’t watched it, I highly recommend you do.

I twirled the pencil in my hand and thought about how similar Alice, one of the personalities, was to my mother. But of course my mother knew she was in the 21st century in the year of 2012. Sometimes I wished I lived in the 80’s or 90’s even, just so i could experience being high, listening to rock N roll and feed off sex. But then again my brother was living the exact same life at the moment. Maybe I could stay  with him if he would just answer my calls. I could take my friend Joanne who has had the biggest crush on him for as long as I can remember. Or maybe, I could just get out of this town and go somewhere else with the pocket money accumulated from 17 years of birthdays, Christmases, thanksgiving, and so on from rich parents with no such next of kin, then I could join some acting classes, something that I’ve always, always wanted to do.