Stepping Stone

Adelaide flicked the pages of some magazine, making mental plans for how to be more skinny, her eyes rested on the coffee mug on her desk. She intended to drink but instead snapped her hand back to the glossy pages and returned to flicking them back and forth too rapidly to read much.

"Salads... Who wants to eat salad all day, everyday?" She mumbled looking at a recipe. Her eyes find her coffee once again, reaching for it for a sip.

Addy winced as she tasted the coffee - it was tepid, overly bitter and lacking real cream. It was a source of caffeine though and she needed it.

"I'm making new coffee," Erin spoke, grabbing Addy's mug. "Quit drinking that crap."

"But I need some," Addy turned her chair towards her friend.

"You always need coffee." Erin said, turning the coffee machine on.

Addy followed her, ready for some caffeine, if she was going to make it through this day. Since waking up this morning, she had a bad feeling about today. It wasn't the first time, and she knew it wouldn't be last, as much as she hoped it would.

"That stuff will kill ya now, apparently."

Both Erin and Addy looked towards the door, as their friend and co-worker walked in.

"Saw an article online." Jay grabbed his black mug from the cabinet turning back to look towards the girls.

Addy raised her eyebrow toward her partner, "Well, that is last on the very long list of things that I'm concerned about." She mumbled.

Jay held out his mug towards Erin, "Please."

Erin rolls her eyes and pours the man coffee into his mug as Addy says, "Caitlin was asking about you."

"Oh, yeah. Tell her I say hi." Jays says, with no interest and emotion.

"So no interest on your part?" Addy says, putting sugar into her coffee when Erin left the two alone to go to her desk.

"She's super sweet, but my loss."

Addy rolled her eyes at her partner. He would never get married, just too picky.

"Hey, you guys seen Voight around?" Jin looked into the break room and asked.

Addy frowned at Jin "No, Why?" She noticed him shaking a bit. "Is everything okay?"

"Nothing." Jin says, before walking away.

Addy and Jay share a glance. Something was wrong.

"You" Addy put a finger on her partner's chest. "I am never setting you up again."

"What?" Jay grabbed her finger. "Who says I want to be set up?"

"You don't know a good thing when you see it." Shaking her hand out of Jay's grip, Addy walked towards her desk.

"Morning!" Addy looked up to see Jules coming in. Her eyes narrowed on the coffee cup in the blonde's hand.

"Time to start a new day!" Jules's partner Antonio passed her.

"You didn't bring me any coffee." Addy turned her lip out. "Jules, where's mine?"

"Tonio got me mine." Jules smirked at her. "You wouldn't like my plain coffee anyways. All you have is creamer and sugar."

"Plus, that's what partners do for each other." Antonio winked at Jules.

"Heard that, Jay?" Addy said, looking straight at her partner.

"You have your coffee." Jay pointed to the mug in her hand.

Addy rolled her eyes, meeting Jay's across the room. She used to believe his glacier eyes were ice cold, that they knew no warmth and never shared love. That's what she used to believe. Now she knew, the hottest fires always burn blue.