late

32 | thirty two

Stacey sat at the dining table, her food untouched as she stared at her fork blankly. Her parents were bickering back and forth, deciding who was getting what and arguing over who was moving out and who was staying.

Their yelling was loud and was turning into screeches and screams.

When the first plate broke, Stacey sighed, getting up and walking out the room. She left her untouched food and volatile parents, heading upstairs.

She walked into the bathroom, shutting the door quietly behind her.

Staring at herself in the mirror for nearly the fifth time that day, Stacey realized just how sad and depressed she looked. She blinked rapidly and reached out for her foundation bottle. She poured too much onto the back of her hand and grabbed her makeup brush.

She dabbed it into the liquid and smeared it across her cheek. She shoved the brush down onto the foundation, twisting it until it was covered in makeup. She covered her face, rubbing thick lines of makeup over her skin.

It wasn't blended and came out thick and streaked.

Stacey was pressing the brush so hard into her skin that it was turning red beneath the foundation. The brush scratched her eye and it welled up with tears. The hairs in the brush splayed out in all different directions but Stacey didn't care.

She still looked tired.

She grabbed her concealer, smudging it under her eyes. She put both her hands on her face, rubbing the makeup in so violently that her face stung. She let out shaky breaths as her heart accelerated.

She brushed her mascara against her eyelashes painfully and left black marks all over her eyelid.

She still looked tired.

Stacey grabbed the eye shadow set and ran her brush through all the colours, pressing it against her eye lids. It was messy and disoriented like a child had done her makeup. She grabbed her red lipstick and ran it over her lips.

The lipstick slid down and hit her chin. Stacey's chest tightened and her hands shook. She ran the lipstick down her chin, covering the spot then all over her face before crying out and scribbling the lipstick all over the mirror, destroying her reflection.

She took handfuls of her liquid foundation and rubbed it against the mirror, mixing it with the lipstick. She hit her fists against the mirror, striking it with her mascara. She cried out as her shoulders shook violently and tears fell from her eyes and through her makeup.

Stacey looked down at her hands that were covered in foundation and lipstick then back up to the mirror that was filled with makeup, blocking out her entire reflection.

Better.

for more follow tahliepurvisautho on instagram