𝒕𝒉𝒓𝒆𝒆

"Don't stare, don't put your hands behind your back, don't say 'Christopher Columbus,' don't say 'capital,' and don't shake hands."

You, Meg, and Jo were making your way through the foyer of the impressive Anderson estate. The large country house had been decked out in red satin ribbons and evergreen wreaths that still smelled as fresh as the forest outside. Plates of frosted gingerbread had been laid out through the entryway and the sound of glasses clinking and polite laughter filled your ears.

The three of you had your arms linked together in a loose chain as you maneuvered deeper into the house. Throughout the entire fifteen-minute walk through the snow, Meg had lectured Jo about her manners and was just finishing up as you knocked on the front door.

Amongst all of the clothes you packed, you managed to find an appropriate formal gown. It was a vivid (Y/F/C) color and stood out beautifully against the dark holiday decor. The short, rounded sleeves puffed out around your shoulder blades and reminded you to keep your posture in check.

According to Meg, this was Jo's first time at a high-society function. She made it her personal goal to prevent her from ruining the family's honor for the rest of her sisters. Obviously, you weren't of any concern. You had been attending balls and galas alike with your father since you first learned how to walk.

Jo had borrowed one of Meg's old gowns. It was deep burgundy and the sleeves ran all the way down her arms, stopping just above the wrist. She nodded begrudgingly at Meg's preachings, obviously feeling out of her element. You understood her unease and patted her on the arm in what you hoped was a reassuring gesture. "You'll be fine, Jo. I'll be right here the whole time."

Meg opened her mouth to speak once again but before any sound left her lips, the three of you jumped back as a young girl burst out of a doorway that led to a crowded side room. Her hair was done up in tight ringlets that framed her narrow face. Her eyes lit up as she spotted Meg and she quickly reached out to pull her away by the arm.

"Meg March, you look so pretty!" The nameless girl cried out between giggles. Your eldest cousin blushed under the praise and unwrapped her arm from Jo's before disappearing into the dense crowd with the mysterious girl. Somewhere off in the house, a violin began to play and most of the crowds ventured off to explore the dance floor with their chosen partners.

Jo said nothing at first. Then she dropped her arm and hugged herself tightly around the middle. "She always abandons me in public," she huffed dejectedly, still staring off where Meg was once standing.

"I won't leave you, I promise."

"You'll swear to it?"

"Cross my heart."

As you ventured deeper into the unfamiliar home, the music grew louder and was soon followed by the sound of ruffling fabric and quick footsteps scuffing against the wood floors. The interior was so dense with partygoers that you didn't realize you were standing on the outskirts of the ballroom until you were accidentally nudged onto an empty loveseat. With nothing better to do, you and Jo claimed the seat as your own and began to talk idly amongst yourselves.

She explained that the word capital could be used to describe something that was great or interesting. As for Christopher Colombus, not even she could explain using the name in casual conversation. 

 Quick, whirling dances morphed into slow waltzes as the night drew on. Jo asked you about Detroit and about school. You told her that living in the city was hectic and head-spinning, but exciting nonetheless. She seemed satisfied with this news.

"I've always wanted to go to the city," she would say, head bobbing up and down with the tune of the lively music. You nearly forgot about the promise you made to Beth about memorizing all of it. Hopefully, Jo would be able to make it up to her.