simple but effective // h.s.

"Hey, A! Ready yet?" I heard a voice call up the steps. I fumbled with my hair, trying to get it to look at least a bit acceptable. The bedroom door opened slowly, and a head of curls peeked past. I looked at him through the mirror, trying to let him know I wasn't ready.

Harry stepped in, no words coming from him. His eyes drifted over me, making me squirm slightly. "Is it too much?" I as chewing my lip and turning back to the mirror. He laughed, making me snap my eyes back to him. "What?" My eyebrows furrowed together, turning once again to look over myself.

The boy next to me wrapped his arms tightly around my torso, obviously sensing how uncomfortable I was. He rested his chin on my shoulder, sighing. "You look absolutely perfect, love," Harry smiled, meeting my eyes through the mirror. I still chewed at my bottom lip, thinking my outfit wasn't complete.

"Are you just saying that not to be rude? I can take some criticism you know," I huffed, turning away from him and walking to get my makeup.

Harry grabbed my hands, pulling me to a hug. He squeezed me as if he wasn't able to ever do it again. "No, I'm not just saying that. Just relax," I squeezed back tightly, trying to think positive. Maybe this'll all be a breeze and a wonderful evening. "I almost forgot," Harry began, pulling back slightly, "I got you something."

"Harry Styles, there was no need for you to get me anything," I tutted, but a smile was on my face. He pulled a small box from inside his suit jacket, placing it in the palm of my hands. The case was a red velvet color, looking very expensive. "How much did this cost you?"

His eyes rolled, closing the space between us to open the case. Harry held it up for me to get a closer look at the sparkling material in his hands.

It was a locket, a silver polished color. I popped it open, eager to see if anything was inside. Sure enough, there was a small picture of Harry and I. It was my favorite one of the two of us, where we're both completely natural with our faces thrown into peculiar expressions.

I gave him a peck to show my appreciation after he clipped it around my neck. "Perfect, let's go," Harry smiled, practically dragging me out the door to his red Range Rover.

"But I'm not ready yet!" I complained, clipping my seat belt anyway. Harry closed the driver's side door and started the ignition, rubbing his hands together quickly in an effort to warm them up. The car hummed through the silence on the way to the party.

"Don't be so nervous," Harry smiled, watching me from the corner of his eyes.

"How can I not?" I laughed, feeling his hand grab mine. His eyes were full of reassurance, which calmed me down a bit.

Harry parked the car and together we walked to the entrance. The clear glass door whined in protest as it was being opened, showing how old the place was. Together we hung our coats in the closet, which was already overflowing with others.

I nervously held Harry's hand and walked around the massive fireplace in the center. The space was filled with family members, chatting away and not noticing our presence. Small tables were set up delicately, each red napkin folded in a neat triangle. We claimed a seat, along with Harry's immediate family.

His mother Anne pulled me aside, smiling warmly before pulling me in for a tight hug. "Wonderful to see you again, Allison, and happy twenty-sixth birthday." She always called me by my full name, and was the only one allowed to. Her eyes were full of authority, but at the same time showed a lot of kindness and care. I absolutely adored her.

"Same to you," I smiled politely, glancing over to Harry and his sister happily catching up.

"How long have you and my son been dating? Three, four years?" Anne asked, watching her son as well.

"Almost five, actually," I nodded. She had a slight look in her eye that I couldn't quite understand. But as quick as it was there, it was gone. Anne nodded, a hint of a smile on her face.

"You love him." It was more a statement than a question, but I still nodded.

"Very much, yes," I smiled, subconsciously looking back over to Harry, who was now greeting his former bandmates that had arrived. "I hope that's acceptable," I joked, laughing along with the mother.

I felt a hand on my shoulder. "Can I steal her for a minute?" I turned to Harry, whom had a slight pleading look to his features. Anne nodded, looking at her son with admiration. He slipped his fingers between my own, tugging me behind him to the four other boys nearby.

"Boys, you remember Allie, my girlfriend," Harry informed the four as I passed out small greeting hugs to each. The last one in line, Louis, hugged me a little tighter.

"I hear so much about you, I think I'm the one dating you," Louis whispered in my ear, smiling widely. I laughed, pulling back to look at his face.

"It's the same for you, I think I know all your darkest secrets." He looked horrified, but laughed at the same time. "Are you fab five doing one last song before you officially retire?" I asked, curious to hear them all perform at once. They sadly shook their heads, ready to put their previous career beside to tend to their families.

"Time to eat," the five cheered in unison, rushing over to the buffet line. All of us raced to get our food and sat together at a larger table, squeezed in with Harry's family. The table conversed pretty loudly, the boys getting in small arguments over little things. Even if they're all in their upper twenties, they act like they're still in the band days. Everyone had finally settled into their meals.

"Harry?!" Anne cried, looking worriedly to the boy sitting across from her. I turned to the side, my eyes settling on Harry's figure. His hands were at his neck, and it was obvious he was panicking. "I think he's choking!"

Before Anne finished her observation, I pulled Harry up out of his chair and wrapped my arms around his lower abdomen, proceeding to perform the Heimlich. My mind and heart raced at the same speed, but I stayed focused.

Harry cupped his hands around his mouth as he spat out whatever was lodged in his throat. I realized the rest of the family was watching, because they all seemed to cringe at the same time. I raced over to his side, putting my hands on the shoulder of Harry's bended over body.

"Are you alri--"

He whipped around, grabbing one of my hands and falling to one knee. In his other hand, was a ring. I gasped, my free hand flying up to cover my mouth. He looked up into my eyes, a smile of his face.

"Allie, I've loved you from the first moment. I never wanted to be away from you. I love when you when you sneeze really, really loudly, and how you never like to ride with me because I'm a bad driver, and you surprise everyone with little gifts of appreciation all the time.Or how you put everyone before yourself. I am in love with you and want to spend the rest of eternity with you. Allie, would you do me the honor of becoming my wife?"

I couldn't speak, my throat closed from the tears welling in my eyes. "Of course!" I squeaked, pulling Harry up into a hug. I felt the other four boys surround the two of us, squishing all of us impossibly closer.

*

"You planned the entire thing?" I asked, completely shocked that it went as smoothly as Harry described. Harry nodded, laughing. I laughed along with him, hugging him tightly for the hundreth time.

"I'm surprised Lou kept it a secret. He was the most excited out of all of us, besides me of course." I smiled, giving him a quick peck before lying my head on his chest. "I love you, more than you'll ever know."

"I love you more than you'll ever know," I smiled, laughing lightly. "More than anyone'll ever know. Even more than I know, if that makes sense."

I closed my eyes, listening to Harry's steady heartbeat. Harry pecked my forehead. "Goodnight, future Mrs. Styles."