Chapter 5⏤Basket Case

b a s k e t c a s e

"Do you really have everything? I totally understand if you've changed your mind, like I said, you really don't have to—"

"Grace," Carter interrupted, her tone firm yet gentle, "Breathe."

Nodding rapidly, Grace gripped her bag tighter, until she finally let out a deep breath and smiled. "Okay, you're right. It's just kind of a big deal."

"Is it though?"

"Of course! It's your new job!"

"Which I wouldn't have gotten without you."

"Wouldn't have gotten it without my colleague's pregnancy. Thank her for that."

"Yes, god, thank her for that." They shared a light laugh before Grace opened the door of the diner for Carter.

"Just remember—when a knife falls down, just jump to the side, don't try to catch it, learned that the hard way." Grace scrunched up her nose in remembrance. "Oh, and when the chef starts throwing things at you, just take a short bathroom break."

"Wait, what?"

"You will be fine." Grace gave Carter's shoulder a reassuring pat before quickly brushing past her to retrieve aprons.

Grace was nothing if not determined. She had insisted Carter stay in her apartment despite Carter's repeated refusals. She also kept making meals, claiming she loved cooking and it was more enjoyable to cook for two. A month had passed with such domesticity when Grace began making room for Carter's nonexistent wardrobe, eventually taking her shopping. Now, three months later, Carter found herself overwhelmingly grateful for everything that had transpired. Despite her flaws, Grace had wormed her way into Carter's heart, becoming an indispensable presence in her life. Grace's inherent goodness made all of Carter's troubles seem trivial by comparison, her light piercing through the darkness that had once enveloped Carter.

However, there were still nights when Carter couldn't suppress the darkness within her. The "shadow magic" she wielded called to her, prompting midnight excursions to deserted city parts where she could practice without being seen. She could manipulate shadows to her will, meld into them, command them to move objects, enhance her vision in the dark, or render herself invisible within it.

Carter was acutely aware of the danger her powers could pose to Grace, especially when the darkness threatened to overwhelm her, filling her with a rage unlike any other. Her thoughts often turned to vengeance for her family, plans forming against those she held responsible: Ironman, Captain America, Black Widow, Hawkeye, and especially Thor, whom she despised with every fiber of her being. Realizing she couldn't take them on all at once, Carter knew she needed a strategy to isolate them or create a distraction.

She had spent countless hours studying them, watching interviews, analyzing fight footage, and gathering every piece of information available, even visiting museums to learn about Captain America. The thought of revenge electrified her, a promise of satisfaction and justice for her family simmering within her.

"Are you okay?" Grace's voice, laced with concern, broke through Carter's reverie.

"More than ever," Carter responded, a determined glint in her eyes.

"Great," Grace beamed, handing her a white apron. "Ready for a new start?"

"You have no idea." Carter's mind was a whirlwind of plans and possibilities. Patience was key; soon, she would enact her revenge, and justice would be served. With Grace by her side, she felt an unprecedented sense of hope—a new beginning amidst the shadows of her past.