Chapter 14 - The Past

Steve's POV

I finished talking to the plainclothes SHIELD agents as they subdued Ronaldo and took him away for further questioning before he goes to jail for the rest of his life. SHIELD ran more tests on the drugged orange juice, turns out had I consumed the drink, I probably would have died.

To be completely honest, the entire experience had shaken me. If Nat didn't realize something was wrong with the drink, I could have been gone for good. Not something I like to think about often.

I walked outside and I bid my goodbyes to the agents as they left, dragging the man along with them. I found Natasha laying on the sunbed, probably resting, in swimmers and a sundress over the top.

Knowing Natasha, things got to her a lot more than what she let on and she was probably just as shaken about the events of today as I was. Usually, I would have at least tried to sneak up on her but today I felt that it was just easier to lay next to her on the sunbed.

She opened her eyes as I lay down, turning her head to face me.

"This morning has been a very eventful start to the day, I must say," I said greeting her. "Yeah, I guess it's not every day that you nearly lose one of the only people you care about." She replied her eyes showing a hint of sadness.

I smiled back sadly at her. She wasn't wrong. Deciding to lighten the mood, I decided to play with her statement.

"One of the only people you care about? Who are the others?" I asked, a smile playing on my lips.

"Well there is Clint, Wanda, Sam, Fury, the rest of the avengers I guess but I am not as close to them as I am to you and the others." She said a small smile appearing on her face as she understood what I was doing. I frowned a little, that is a pretty short list, I mean, I know her past was pretty bad but still, there was no one else? Wanting answers, I decided to press her further.

"So no one from your past at all?" I inquired, instantly regretting it as her face fell and she became serious again. I started to apologize for getting up in her business but she cut me off.

"No Steve, it's ok. I don't mind you asking, in fact, you are one of the only people I would be willing to tell about my past. Anyway, in response to your question, no, there isn't really anyone from my past that I care about. You see, my parents died before I was able to remember them and I was taken by the KGB and placed in the Red Room." she sighed, taking a breath before continuing.

"It's no secret that I wasn't treated well in there, torture and killings became the norm for me when I was there. Naturally, I despised everyone there, Madame B and Ivan the most of all, as they were the people in charge of the Red Room. The ones that inflicted all of the pain I suffered throughout my childhood." My heart was aching for Nat but I stayed silent and let her continue, giving her my full attention.

"You know, despite that, there were two people that I really cared about. Their names were Melina and Yelena. Melina had been a part of the Red Room all of her life and she soon became a mother figure to me. Well, as much as she could be given the circumstances. One day she went on a mission and never came back, I presume she died as she was never spoken about again." She cleared her throat and blinked away the tears in her eyes. I placed a comforting hand on her shoulder as she continued.

"Then there was Yelena. She was a year or two younger than me but we entered the Red Room around the same time. She was the closest thing to a sister I have ever had. We fought together, sometimes even having to fight against each other, at the pleasure of the sickos that ran the program. Whilst we had no choice but to hurt each other to avoid being killed by the masters, we always made up and cared for each other's wounds in the best way we knew how.

The day I ran away, I tried so hard to take her with me. Came up with hundreds of strategies. Nothing would be able to get both of us out of there. So I decided to go myself and come back for her as soon as I could. I tried so hard to get her and the rest of the girls out of there, but every time I failed. It is hard to break into a place using your skills when it's the place that taught you all of those skills. After a while, I gave up. I never found out what happened to Yelena. I don't even know if she is still alive." she finished, a single tear slipping down her cheek.

I reached out my thumb and wiped away the tear off of her cheek.

"You'll find her one day. Don't lose hope." I reassured her. A small smile appeared on her face as she looked back over at me again and cleared her throat, wiping away the remainder of her tears.

"So what about the great Captain America? Anyone from his past that he cared about?" She asked me. The question brought up painful memories of me and Peggy but I pushed them aside. She had answered my questions about her past, and I will answer hers.

"Just one girl... Peggy Carter. She was one of the most powerful women of the time. She held her own and then some against the rest of the soldiers in the army. There wasn't much she couldn't get done. You remind me of her a little bit, though she was still restrained by the time she lived in. Anyway, the day I went down with the Hydra ship into the ocean she asked me to go dancing with her. You see, pre-serum me was different. I had never danced or even gone on a proper date before with a girl, still haven't. We were supposed to go together the week after I crashed that plane into the ice. 70 years later, I guess I missed my chance." I smiled sadly at the memories of her.

Nat gave me a comforting look. We sat in silence for a few minutes staring into each other's eyes contently. Natasha was the first one to look away and so I took that as my cue to stand up. Nat looked over at me quizzically.

"Do you want some water?" I asked a cheeky grin appearing on my face. Before Nat could register what was going on I scooped her up in my arms and ran to the edge of the lounge. I threw her over the edge causing her to scream before she hit the water.

"I'll take that as a yes." I chuckled. She re-emerged from the water with one of the deadliest glares I have ever seen on her face. Yikes.

"You know, I was going to ask you to come on a date with me, but after that, I don't think I will." She said slyly. The next thing I knew my legs were pulled out from underneath me causing me to fall into the water too. Now we were both in the water, fully clothed. I held my arms up in surrender.

"Ok, ok, we are even." I chuckled as I wiped my hair out of my face. "So-" I continued, mustering up all of the courage I had to ask the next words

"How about that date?" I choked out. She smirked and kissed me on the cheek before getting out of the water and wringing out her clothes.

"Fine, tomorrow night. How does that sound?" Nat asked. I got out of the water and wrung my clothes out too, though I couldn't stop the overjoyed smile that spread on my face.

"Can't wait," I said before walking inside to properly dry off and get into some drier clothes. Damn Rogers, you just got yourself a date, even if you are both just going as friends.