The Drive

2 Months Later

Anna turns over as the morning sun gleams through the curtains.
"Good morning, Tom." she whispers, eyes still closed. When there's no response, she thinks of the incident a month ago. Her heart starts racing. She jumps out of the bed and runs to the bathroom but Tom's not there. "Tom? Tom? Are you okay?" she yells.

There's still no response. She runs downstairs but he's not there either. "Calm down. He's fine. He's totally fine." An idea crosses her mind so she checks the garage... not there either. She goes back upstairs to call the police but before she can make it to her room, she hears Alora crying.

"Alora!" Anna exclaims and runs to the nursery. Tom is standing there holding her.

"Shhhh, daddy's here, it's alright." he whispers. He rocks back and forth with Alora in his arms.

Anna stands in the nursery trying to catch her breath.

"Darling, what's the matter?"

"I was scared something happened you." she says, starting to cry. "Ever since-"

"Anna, love, I'm okay. Alora was crying and I didn't want to wake you up so I tried providing her some comfort until you could feed her. I would love to assist in this but it defies the laws of nature so you need to do that part."

She chuckles and walks over to Tom, embracing him in a hug. "I love you."

"I love you too, Anna May. Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to take a fast shower."

"Okay, sweetheart." Anna smiles and takes Alora from Tom's arms.

"Hey pretty girl." she whispers. "You hungry? Yeah, I think so."

Tom walks into the bathroom and turns on the shower to make sure he mutes the noise. He dials Dr. Arnstein.

"Hey, Tom, how are you?" he asks.

"I'm good, thank you for asking. I had some questions about what we talked about on Wednesday."

"Oh, yeah, no problem. Listen, I've got a lot of information to tell you and a lot to go over. This takes some serious thought, on your part. If you're willing to do it, let me know but we went over the risks. Do you want to stop by today at 1? I have lunch but I want you to really be sure before committing to anything."

"I'm dying anyway, Dr. Arnstein." Tom says.

"I suppose that's true." Arnstein softly chuckles.

"I'll see you at 1. I'll have to hurry because Anna will get worried. Thank you again for doing this for me."

"No worries, Tom. Bye-bye."

Tom hangs up and gets everything for today. He has to think how he'll get out of the house for a few hours. He wants to tell Anna but he can't just yet... it's too risky.

Anna sits on the rocking chair in the nursery rocking Alora back and forth.
"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine, my only sunshine, you make me happy when sky's are grey... you'll never know dear, how much love you, please don't take my sunshine away." She quietly sings. Anna watches as Alora sleeps. "You're so beautiful, sweetheart."

"Hey, darling?" Tom says, small water droplets falling from his hair.

"Yeah, Tom?"

"I'm going to go for a quick drive really quick, I'll be back soon."

"Where are you going?"

"I want to clear my head, that's all. I won't be long."

"I'll go with you." Anna smiles.

"Love, I don't want to be rude but I'd like to go alone."

"Oh... okay."

"Please don't be upset, Anna May."

"I'm not, go ahead and be careful... please."

"Are you still frightened?" Tom asks.

Anna nods with a frown.

"I promise that if I feel unwell, I'll come right home."

"Okay." she whispers. "I love you."

"I love you." he replies. "And I love our little girl."

Anna watches as Tom walks out of the door. "He'll be okay." She gets up and walks downstairs with Alora. "What do you wanna watch sweetheart? Should we watch Thor? Yeah... we can watch daddy."

Everytime Loki comes on the screen, Alora looks up. "You know him, don't you?" Anna says. "Yeah, you know who he is. You know that face, pretty girl."

After about an hour into the movie, Anna realizes how long he's been gone. She picks up her phone and calls.

"It's a very risky-" Dr. Arnstein is cut off by Tom's phone.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I need to take this." Tom says.

"Hello, darling."

"Tom? Where are you? Is everything okay?"

"I just lost track of time, my love, I'm so sorry. I'm coming home now."

Tom stands up and puts on his jacket.

"Thank you so much, Dr. Arnstein. I think I'll do it but I need to talk to Anna first."

"Of course, just let me know."

Anna sits in the kitchen with Alora waiting for Tom to come home. The door opens and a huge sigh of relief falls from Anna's lips.

"Hello, darling." Tom smiles.

"Hi, Tom." Anna smiles back.

"Listen, I'm going to change into something more causal and then I'll make us both some lunch."

"Okay."

Tom goes upstairs and his phone starts ringing on the counter. It was right next to Anna, so naturally her eyes go to it.

"Tom? It's Dr. Arnstein." Anna yells. "He's calling you." Tom doesn't respond, he can't hear her from upstairs. "I'm picking up, honey."

Before Anna can speak, Dr. Arnstein does. "Hey, Tom, you forgot the surgical consent form. I know you wanted to wait to talk to Anna before, but I need to book you within the week."

"Umm, I'll let him know, thanks Dr." Anna says and hangs up the phone.

Shortly after, Tom downstairs. Anna has a grimace on her face. "Thomas, can you tell me why Dr. Arnstein just called to say you forgot a surgical consent form?"

"Oh, um, darling, there's something I need to talk to you about."