Sixty-Four

Gavin couldn't stop thinking of the zombie. He knew it was the same one he and Cora had seen that night on the bar. This one was different. It wasn't like a wild animal, not like all of the others. He assumed that it was the one that came up with the idea of tipping the trucks. Just the idea of five of them tipping a whole truck full of people was terrifying, but knowing how smart that one was, and probably others with it; he almost considered, just for a second, turning his pistol on himself. Of course he didn't, though. That would mean leaving his friends, and they needed each other right then.
   He used his time to think about it. They seemed more coordinated now. They'd have to be, to be able to hit the trucks spot-on like they did. He remembered the first day, when it all began. The things were wandering around, tripping over small, barely visible visble things, even their own feet, and walking into walls and cars. Then there was the fact that they were strong. Five of them alone managed to tip the truck in front of them, and there couldn't have been more than three that flipped theirs.
   He wondered if there were any others as smart as the one that attacked him. He knew, by the way it stared at him that night and then when it had him pinned down, that there was something different about
it. It was smarter than the rest, which Gavin hoped were just as dumb as when he first saw them. Judged by their coordination; probably not. He knew they were in trouble now. No one had expected this from the
zombies, no one even guessed it might get this bad. But it did, and they'd have to deal with it. How? He had no idea.