Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Sitting and then standing on my chair has been my routine past the few minutes. I shake my hands as I keep feeling so nervous that I feel like I'm gonna die. After hearing what Minetta said earlier, it didn't wash out of my head. Biglang tumatak na para bang nilatigo sa utak ko. The face of the French guy became vivid in my mind. Read na akong kalimutan kung anong nangyari kagabi but it pulled me right back to it.

There's something wrong going on, there must be, I know it.

When Minetta told me that I will be teaching grade-schoolers, I came prepared for it. Mostly six to seven years old ang ranges ng mga magiging students and English class is compulsory to their academic activity. For sure, hindi magiging mabigat ito para sa akin. They were just kids and I love talking to them. Sana hindi ako ang ma-torture just because I insist to take this job, wala na akong kawala.

I look around the room I'll be teaching, hindi naman gano'n kalakihan. I wouldn't be teaching six-foot adults so this really suits me. Small rooms don't really suffocate me, a person does. But that's another thing to discuss. I appreciate these children's classroom. There are two long small wooden tables placed vertically in front of me and then at the back placed horizontally. Small chairs are under the table and I couldn't wait to see these young ones sitting there and putting their attention to me.  And the windows placed near the ceiling give enough light to the room. We were cornered by shelves around filled with books starting from children's books to fiction.

While I was looking at the ABC's chart on the wall next to the whiteboard, someone caught my attention.

"Miss Calafiore?" tumapon ang atensyon ko ng tawagin ako ni Minetta. She's standing on the doorstep. She reminds me of someone. Para kasi siyang manika. Her sharp eyes are taunting but her sweet smile is configuring that I shouldn't be afraid of her. 

"Yes, Minetta?" I glow with a smile on my lips, just to cover up how I panic inside.

"T'es prête?" she said and I bop my head with slight hesitation but obviously, I can't back out of this. I came for this life and what I had back in my home is over. This is the new normal for me. Kids and lesson plans. No scripts, waking up early for shooting call times, no director shouting in my face. It's my turn to be evil to these kids but I'm sure that's an unnecessary thing to do. I love kids. I just don't think I'll be having one soon. (Are you ready?)

"Quand ils viendront?" (When they are coming?)

"Oooh, gentille, Cosette," she swooned as I perfectly asked her in her own language. "Well, here's your class now." (Oooh, nice, Cosette.)

When she announced it, a moment later, a round of kids like a tsunami running inside the classroom and they immediately find seats for them. Bigla akong nagpanic dahil biglang gumulo ang paligid. Hindi ko alam kung saan magsisimula. The room filled with noise and how they pulled their chairs out under the table and it made a screeching sound, it irritates me but I have to keep my coolness strap in.

"Bonne chance, Cosette," Minetta said and she swiftly left the doorstep. (Good luck, Cosette.)

"Attendre, Minetta," but I couldn't get a hold of her anymore. I horribly turned my head to the little students settling on their chairs and I feel like a tornado just paved my soul out of my body. Gano'n katindi ang impact sa akin.  (Wait, Minetta!)

I took a deep breath and examined every one of them. Minetta already handed me a list of names of these students and the only problem I have to do is memorize their names together with their faces. Ang problema lang, all their names are hard to pronounce. Some are fancy to speak but some screams too much complications with enunciation.