Chapter 2

Ahhh, Tuesday. Pancake Day. For as long as I could remember, Tuesdays meant going out for break, with the rest of the gang. We would all go to our favorite diner and have breakfast together, like a family. A loving family. Even with my foster parents I could always count on my gang and Pancake Day. Well at least that’s what I thought glancing around my new dorm. Correction new reform school dorm room.

I rubbed the sleep away and took in the cramped dorm room. The long nightmare that had been yesterday came back to me: the surrender of all my weapons and cell phone, and Austin totally humiliating me in front to the whole school. What was it that made him spiteful, I didn’t have a clue.

Last night after crying for hours I had finally fallen a sleep. One day at this school and I’ve already cried my eyes out. I sat up and looked out the window. It was still dark; the sun hadn’t even peeked over the horizon yet. I’d never woken up this early. If pressed, I didn’t actually think I ever remember seeing the sun rise.

What was I going to do for 3 hours between the crack of dawn and my first class? I decided to get some early break fast. I opened the door o my room and walked out into the empty hall. I closed the door lightly behind me. I tried to keep my footsteps light and not wake up anyone. I passed by the dorm monitor’s desk, only to see her sleeping. I opened the doors that led out of the girl’s dorm.

 I breathed in the fresh scent. Freedom. Well this was the closet thing I was going to get to freedom. I saw Cam and Zoey already up. They were both sitting on one the bench. I tried to avoid them, because of the whole incident yesterday. I pulled the hood over my head trying to say low. Please don’t let them notice me, I begged.

But of course they noticed. I heard Zoey first, “Hey Eliana come here.”

I tried to put on a smile but my lips wouldn’t obey me. I walked over to them keeping my head down.

“There you are. We were just talking about you,” I heard Cam say.

“Yeah and that idiotic jerk Austin. Ignore him he’s the biggest jerk in this whole school. No one knows what he got in for. It’s kind of weird because news travels fast around here. I wish you had stabbed him, but no Mr. Stevens had to come stop….”

Zoey trailed on and on. I was forgetting something about yesterday. Something with Mr. Stevens. Oh. Crap. I was supposed to go to detention.

“Oh detention. Wait you have to be there right now. Detentions always at the crack of dawn on the field,” Cam said. I hadn’t realized that I had been thinking aloud.

I realized I was already late for detention. “Gotta go, I’ll catch you later in class”. I ran at top speed towards the field. Once I got there I saw an angry Mr. Steven and Austin. His expression was unreadable. He looked especially good in his black fitted shirt and jeans. His hair falling into his blue eyes.

I saw that there was black mark on his cheek. I smiled at that.

“Miss Hunter you are late for detention,” Mr. Stevens said to me.

As if I didn’t already know, I thought. “You didn’t tell me where it was or when it was. So technically it’s your fault,” I said to him. I stood on my heels, arm crossed. From the corner of my eye I saw Austin smile. Mr. Stevens looked dumbfounded and after a few minutes just stormed away. I smiled after him.

“Now that’s how you get rid of teachers,” I said to myself. “So what are we supposed to do for the next 3 hours,” I asked Austin.

“Nothing now that you got rid of him,” he said not looking at me. “But I guess stay here till Mr. Stevens comes back with something to throw back at you”.

“That’s going to take a long time.” I sat crossed legs on to the grass, trying to ignore Austin. It was hard when he looked so damn good standing in front of the sunrise.

“Three hours is not going to go fast if you keep your mouth shut”,” he said. He came and sat crossed legged in front of me.

“I’m sorry but what did you do with that jack-ass Austin? And who are you?” I asked looking up to meet his eyes.

“Funny. Now tell me about yourself. What did you get in for?” he asked looking interested somewhat.

“Sorry again. But I’m not going to tell you what I got in for, after what you did to me yesterday. I thought you didn’t like me and suddenly all of a sudden you’re interested.” I said to him, my voice stern and emotionless.

“Fine don’t tell me. We can sit here for the rest of 3 hours,” he said turning away from me.

A few minutes passed and no one said anything. I found my eyes closing and made myself stay awake. Well this is really boring, I thought. Finally giving up to his silent treatment I said, “My gang ditched me after we got in a fight with the biggest gang in New York. I was helpless so I started a fire, trapping the gang. I made it out barely.” I said to him.

He turned to face me, his expression dark and….. interested. I continued with my story when he signaled for me to go on, “The judge sent me here as my punishment. I called it self- defense but I guess that doesn’t exist anymore,” I said not meeting his eyes.

“So what’d you get in for? I told you why I got in, now it’s your turn,” I said to him. I smirked as I saw his expression change instantly from interested to surprised.

I saw him hesitating to answer, but he finally choked out the words in his throat, “I murdered someone and then some other side stuff.” He wasn’t telling me the whole truth. But I decided to leave it at that.

A few minutes passed we both sat in silence and then I broke the silence, “Why’d you do it?”

“Do what?” he asked looking up confused.

“You know diss me in front of the school”.

“I don’t know. That was dumb, I’m sorry,” he said his eyes full of sadness and regret.

 Before I could say any thing I heard Mr. Stevens coming back. He had big scowl planted on his face, “There is a school meeting right now, both of you are supposed to report to it immediately.”

We both got up and raced towards the general purpose room. The kids were all walking in clusters talking with their friends. I drifted away from Austin to find Cam and Zoey. They were leaning against the wall. They both greeted with big smiles.

“So how was detention with Mr. Hotshot?” Zoey asked. Her eyebrows raised excitement tingling in her eyes.

“Surprisingly pleasant and not too shabby,” I answered her.

She was about to say something when Cam said, “Lets go, the whole school’s inside except for us.” I saw flash of anger in his eyes. What was that all about?

“Always the drama queen,” Zoey said.

I laughed and followed her inside.