Chapter Nine: The Wickedness of Goodness - Part 2

Charts of sea and land were spread out across the desk. A larger map depicting the known world, which was painted across the entire length of the north wall, gave greater reference, adding special detail to areas that were perfect for shipwrecks.

Thaddeus Archibald Ellister III ran his eyes across the maps diligently, measuring distances and predicting movement. In this way, he monitored storms.

He was not alone in his study, for three advisors were present with him. Mr. Browning and Mr. Frost sat in chairs before the desk, being completely ignored by Ellister. Mr. Swingler stood near the crown prince's chair, wearing tiny spectacles and reading from a ledger, updating Ellister on current events.

"Trade is still declining—but that should not surprise Your Highness. Also, Mr. Hitchcock has asked that you pardon his son, George. Apparently the young man has been arrested for piracy, and—"

"Add him to the number of my sailors," Ellister said absently, glancing up at the large map on the wall before turning to write matching coordinates on one of the charts. "Where is Nathan, by the way?"

"He is...not present, Highness," Mr. Swingler explained, eyeing his comrades. Ellister's current attitude was becoming more common as of late, and his consuls were becoming worried. The man had always been obsessed, but he was much worse now. Others had begun to notice. There were whispers.

Ellister gave little more to this than a short hum of acknowledgment. The advisors glanced at each other again in disapproval. They hardly ever got through to him when he was in such a state, furiously calculating future conditions and finding places where new nets should be placed. He was so involved that he hadn't even lit his pipe.

"There is one more thing, Highness, if I might," Mr. Swingler brought up gently.

"Yes, yes," Thaddeus said irritably. "Speak."

The other two men motioned for Swingler to continue while he had the chance.

"Your father is ill, and considering that, we must accept his eventual death."

The wording was somehow interesting to Thaddeus. He stopped his measurements, raising his head.

"The people are going to need something reassuring after the eminent tragedy. There has been little to make them happy in the past while. Their king is very sick, and they fear the sea. The gentlemen and I were talking, and we think that it would be a good ideato raise morale, as it wereif you would consent to take a wife. A public marriage might be just what the kingdom needs."

Ellister nearly dropped his compass. Marriage? To a human woman? He could think of nothing more unpleasant.

"A handsome man like you, near to becoming king," began the portly Mr. Browning. "Marriage shows stability, and it counters vicious rumors—like that their future king is involving himself with pirate trash."

Thaddeus looked at him sharply, and the man reformed his attitude.

"It's something that the people would like to see, Highness. A large celebration, their future king joining to a worthy wife—or even just a lovely one. We feel it might set the kingdom back on the right foot."

The crown prince sighed, suddenly needing to smoke. His heart belonged to one that was beyond his reach, and he could not betray her. Any marriage he might have had would be a complete sham. He thought on this briefly, wondering over the consequences, and finally was led to a conclusion. It did not matter if he took a human wife. That was not a betrayal, for it would mean nothing. He would love the other always.

"Have it your way," the prince said finally, with little interest. "Pick someone who's worthy to your eyes and tell me when the ceremony is to be."

Withered smiles crossed the men's faces. Nods ofapproval passed around the room. Thaddeus forgot the topic as soon as it hadpassed.