Beneath The Surface

Previously in To Have A Home: Knowing that Harry was settled for now, Severus now had another crucial matter to attend to. He nodded to Poppy, a silent thank you evident in his eyes. With a swish of his robes, he exited the hospital wing and started towards the headmaster's office, his anger building with each step.

Dumbledore had a lot of explaining to do.

____________________________________________________________

      "ALBUS PERCIVAL WULFRIC BRIAN DUMBLEDORE!"

      The deep, booming voice of the Potions Master could clearly be heard, even before the man entered the office. Hearing Severus shout his full name, not unlike a parent reprimanding a small child, the Headmaster could only sit in stunned silence as his employee threw open the door with such strength, the many bookshelves that lined the walls trembled from the force.

      "Severus, is there a problem, my boy?" Albus asked, the twinkle in his eye only serving as fuel to Severus' fiery temper.

      "There most certainly is, Headmaster." Severus replied, purposely placing an emphasis on his last word in order to prove that they were no longer on personal terms. Not giving the man a chance to speak, Severus began to unleash his anger on the older wizard.

      "The alarm that sounded earlier had been triggered by none other than Mr. Potter. Your Golden Gryffindor had been in the midst of his second attempt to end his life within twenty four hours!" The man bellowed. Albus's eyes widened ever so slightly, before narrowing in suspicion.

     "As I am sure you are aware, after the tragic events of Halloween 1981," He paused, feeling his chest constrict with an unwelcome onslaught of emotion, "Mr. Potter had been placed under the care of one Petunia Dursley." He stated, a look of disgust crossing his features at the mention of the woman with whom he held mutual hatred.

     "Yesterday evening, after receiving a rather troubling, lengthy letter from Mr. Potter, I felt it necessary to pay a visit to the residence. What I found upon arrival was an emaciated, abused child who was about to take his own life with a muggle firearm. I am sure that I was not the only one to receive a message from the boy, however, it seems that I was the only one who had enough sense to intervene!" Severus spat.

      The multiple paintings of past headmasters that adorned the walls had all paused at the intrusion and turned their attention to the two occupants of the room, watching as the Slytherin took another step towards Dumbledore. Albus made a motion as if to begin speaking, but was unsurprisingly cut off by Severus.

      "Don't you dare interrupt me, Albus Dumbledore! I am nowhere near finished, and you will sit and listen, for once in your life. Do you understand me?" Severus asked icily. Wide blue eyes stared into Onyx, before Albus conceded with a nod.

      Severus took a breath as he stared down the man that he once trusted with his life. He had put a giant target on his back when he agreed to be a spy for the light, and was never shown any appreciation for putting himself at risk. Severus knew that the 'old grandfather image' that Albus put on was merely a front, and that beneath the surface was a man who only cared about the "greater good". He had a feeling that the wizard before him would not hesitate to sacrifice those he claimed to care about if it meant that it would benefit his own image in the eye of the Wizarding World.

      There was a time when Severus Snape had constantly sought the approval of Albus Dumbledore, having thought that the man symbolized the epitome of a true Wizard. The Slytherin had fought to return to the side of the light, no longer wanting to associate himself with the dark and evil crowd that he had unfortunately fallen into during his days as a student. The Dark Lord had been surprisingly lenient on Severus when he dared to ask for Lily's life to be spared, only for the request to be made in vain as he remembered clutching the ginger's lifeless body while surrounded by the wreckage that had once been Harry's nursery.