Chapter 38

By the time morning rolls around, Ian's still with me. He's leaning against the wall, sitting on my bed. Still holding me. Oh Ian. He breathes out softly, still sleeping. I don't want to wake him up, but I want to thank him. For coming over to comfort me, for staying with me, for being there for me. I sit up slowly, then freeze as he stirs. Thankfully, he stays asleep. I lightly plant a kiss on his cheek, and apparently I linger too long. Ian wakes and looks at me with a cocky grin plastered all over his face. "Well good morning to you too." I sigh and rest my head on his shoulder. "What's so good about it?" He thinks, "Well. The sun's up, we woke early enough to be at the studios on time, and I'm here."

In spite of myself, I laugh and play along. "Oh yes that makes it all better." He brushes the bangs out of my forehead. "Now. You want to tell me what happened and who I need to go talk to?" I swallow. Tell him, TELL him! screams out any and all parts of my being that has feelings for the man beside me. I decide to listen to it. "It, it was, I was, I was betrayed." Ian immediately stiffens, tense like he's going to spring up off the bed. "Who? Who had the nerve to hurt you?" He asks, his voice cool and calm, but its like the calm before a storm.

I slide out of his re-assuring arms. I lean against the wall next to him, pulling my legs up in front of me. Ian reaches over and grabs my hand. "Who? Tell me who did it." I frown and force my mouth to spit out the word, "Ludwig." Ian drops my hand. A cold fire lights in his eyes. He scowls as his hands shake, running through his hair. "I'll kill him." Quick as a flash, his fists drop, pounding onto the bed. "I swear, I'll kill him!" His eyes narrow as he stares at the bed across from the one we're sitting one. He's staring, but he's not really seeing. His mind's eye is somewhere else, on a calculating path. "I have the best excuse now. Finally. Was it just him? Or was someone else involved?"

I start shaking and I can't shut out the flow of words. "Bethany was. Bethany Street. She and Xan-Alexander were-" I squeeze my eyes shut, desperate to remove the image from my mind. My voice drops to a whisper. "They were kissing. In the school hall." Ian kneels in front of me. He pulls me to him and holds me again, rocking me softly. "Oh baby." He whispers. "Precious, I'm so so sorry. They are going to regret this so much." I look up at him through my water-filled eyes. "You aren't really going to murder them are you?"

He kisses my forehead. "No. But they will regret it. Ludwig has to. Its time. I have a good enough excuse. You were hurt. That gives me all the right in the world to come back at him, for everything." Again, another reference to his past. When is he going to tell me what happened?! "Everything?" Ian sighs. "Yes. Everything. You don't, you don't know all he's done. I'll tell you one day, but not now. Its... now's not the time."

I want him to tell me, desperately, but something tells me to wait. Maybe its the same voice from earlier. I glance over at the clock. "Okay then. We gotta get to work Ian. And I need to get ready before we go." Slowly, I stand up and pull Ian out of my room so I can dress. "Give me a few minutes mister." I whisper to him as I shut the door. I slip on a pair of small brown boots, faded jeans, a white tank, and a leather jacket. Not wanting to mess with my hair, I grab a bandanna and tie it back. The only make-up I apply is mascara. I really don't want to mess with the rest, and I know that I'll get more make-up once we're at the studios.

I leave my room to see Ian waiting for me in the hall. He smiles at me. "Simple, yet gorgeous. As always." I blush. Why does he have to compliment me? "Can we get coffee before we get to work? I'm going to need the caffeine." Ian slips on his sunglasses as we step outside, walking to his car. "You got it. Any particular place?" I start to say, "Danny's" but stop. No. I can't go to Danny's. Not yet. It has too much sentimental value for me now. "Moxie Java please." Ian opens the door and I slide it. "Moxie Java it is."

We get to CCB studios about an hour later. I hand Ian his vanilla frappe as we walk to the doors. He throws me a smile and takes it. "Thanks." I smile back and take a sip of my mocha. I almost slip on the sidewalk. I fall backwards and Ian catches me. For some reason, I start laughing. "I'm so clumsy." I say. Ian shakes his head. "You okay?" I nod, not being able to speak I'm laughing so hard. Ian opens the front door for me and I hurry inside.

I'm still laughing as I enter the studios. Then, my giggles die in my throat as I freeze. Xander is pacing back and forth in the lobby. He stops and stares at me. Ian spots Xander and his eyes narrow in anger. "What are you doing here?" He demands. "You have no business being here." Xander doesn't seem to hear Ian and continues to stare at me. I can feel the tears come. Don't cry, don't you dare cry. He's not worth it!

Xander swallows and begins to speak rapidly. "Please. You have to talk to me baby." I stare at the floor not willing to let my eyes trail up to his where I know I'll be lost. "I thought I told you not to call me that." Xander takes a few steps closer, making Ian step protectively in front of me. "No. You're not going to toy with her anymore." Xander glares at Ian. "And what makes you think I'm going to listen to you?" Ian rolls his eyes. "Just do it."

Xander scowls, furious at the man in front of him, for reasons more than what's happening right now. "Make me." Something inside Ian snaps. He hands me his drink and says in a cold voice, "Hold this Precious." I take it blindly, still battling with my inner emotions. In one graceful, yet powerful, move Ian turns to Xander, pulls back his clenched fist and punches Xander. Xander stumbles back, not expecting the blow. He wipes his broken lip and looks down at his hand to see blood. He glares at Ian. "So now you're gonna hit me." Ian smirks, the humor not reaching his eyes. "I already did."

Xander retaliates, hitting Ian hard enough to make the sound of flesh hitting flesh echo around the room. Ian jumps up, and pushes Xander to the ground, pinning him down. He pummels Xander with his fists, all the while Xander hitting Ian in the sides. Its horrible. I drop the drinks on a nearby table and rush over. I grab Ian's arm, the one that's about to hit Xander's face again, and start yanking him back. "No! Ian stop it! No more, please!" Finally, he hears my cries.

I pull him off of Xander, holding him back. Almost instinctively, Ian's arm snakes around my waist and holds me to him. "Stay away from her. Do you hear me?" He yells at Xander, who is wise enough to remain silent. Xander pushes himself off the ground. His face is bloody and bruised. And I feel pity for him, sympathy. I hate him, yet he looks so sad I can't help it. He looks at me pleadingly. I swallow and say to the man who stole my heart, "I want nothing more to do with you Ludwig. Just stay away from me." I leave the lobby, heading to the nearest restroom to wash the blood off Ian's hands, Xander staring at me till I'm out of sight.