Chapter Sixteen: Girl Meets Not Being Worthy.

Maya's POV:

It seems as though everything in time is moving in slow motion. As Huckleberry and I walk down the corridor side by side, the numerous amount of students walking by all start to blur to the point where I can't make out one person from the other.

I despise the fact that my heart starts to beat a mile a minute. The closer we get, the harder it gets for me to provide air for my lungs. My nerves are going off the walls and I can't help but feel more anxious with each passing second.

You're almost there Maya.

The realization of the inevitable, causes my palms to sweat. I know there's no avoiding this, I'm gonna have to face the music sooner or later. The only thing granting me some sort of comfort is the fact that I won't be doing this alone. I'll have a cowboy by my side through it all.

Almost as though Lucas is able to sense my uneasiness, his arm goes up and wraps itself around my shoulders. He makes sure to pull me in close to his side before leaning down to tell me something. His previous actions cause butterflies to erupt in my stomach.

"Don't sweat it Hart, everything well be fine. And worst case scenario we can just ditch for the rest of the day." He whispers into my hair and I can't help but feel somewhat surprised at his words.

"Woah there Hopalong, did you just suggest that we ditch school? I must really be doing a number on you." I smirk teasingly as Lucas laughs sarcastically at me in response.

"I guess I'm not the cowboy with a moral compass anymore." He looks down at me with a cocky smirk and takes his bottom lips in between his teeth.

I shake my head to get rid of the butting emotions stirring up inside of me. How am I supposed to suppress how I've been feeling when Lucas looks at me like that?

A look that is capable of turning me into complete mush.

"Mr. Friar can I speak to you for a minute?" Lucas quickly looks between me and the Principal that is calling him into his office.

"Stay here and wait for me. I'll be right back. I won't let you go in there by yourself." He does his best to comfort me and give my shoulder a reassuring squeeze before following our principal into his office.

I know it might seem like I'm making a big deal heading to the cafeteria, but it's gonna be the only time where Lucas and I are completely vulnerable. Not to mention we'd have to confront our entire friend group for the first time since everything has gone down last night.

"You do realize how pathetic you are, don't you Peaches?" I instantly look over at the person that I once knew. I never thought I'd ever hear Riley call me that name again, especially not in that context.

"I saw the little scene between the both of you this morning, the whole school did actually. Do you really think you could ever be with Lucas?" She adds on and I know better than to give into what she's saying. Riley wants a reaction from me, and there's no way I'm going to give her one.

"Do you really think he could love someone so broken and worthless?" I hate to admit how much her words really do hurt me. My heartaches at the fact that she really believes what she's saying.

Riley and her entire family have gone out of their way to always make me feel loved and taken care off. I guess it was all a lie. Every hug, ever time they were my source of comfort, it was never truly real.

"Lucas deserves better than some whore like you Maya. You won't ever be worthy of him. And you'll be completely alone when he decides to come running back to me." Feeling somewhat satisfied with herself, she smiles triumphantly before walking away.