Kaoru's Ending

"Kaoru-kun!" you said, backing away from the two of them, "I pick him, all right? I like him better."

You leaned into your seat, trying to get away from them. There really wasn't anywhere else to go, and you hoped the proclamation would send the two of them away from you. Unfortunately, your words did little to send either one away. They were still practically sitting on you, though different expressions on their matching features.

"F/N-chan..." said Kaoru, smilingly slightly.

His face showed nothing but a sweet contentment. You were almost scared he might try to hug you or kiss you again, but to your relief, he didn't. Hikaru, on the other hand, was terrifying you with the expression on his face. He looked like he couldn't decide whether he was confused or livid, and you were trying not to look at him. Though you had hoped things would cool down, the opposite feeling had suddenly entered the car.

"So... it was all... just a lie then?" said Hikaru.

What the heck? What were you even supposed to say to something like that?

"I-I don't know," you said.

"But you don't really like him more, do you?" rushed Hikaru, "I mean, after everything that happened surely-"

"And here I thought you were finally about to man up and let F/N-chan have a choice," interrupted Kaoru, "I guess you were all talk back there."

"No! That's not true!" said Hikaru, "I-I, F/N-chan."

His face was losing color though. He looked you straight in the eye, and naturally your eyes fled his gaze.

"What?" you said.

"Do you really mean what you said?" said Hikaru, "You... you would rather be with Kaoru over me? You like him more?"

"What? I-I-I- yes. Yes, I do," you said.

Did you though? You didn't even want to think about it right now. You were pretty ticked off at both of them, to be honest. You just wanted to get them off of your back and out of your face.

Hikaru seemed to be taking this pretty hard though. Was he going to cry? No, that wasn't like him, and his face was much more angry than sad. Even so, though, on the edge of his eyes, you could see that there was something a little more acute than anger dwelling there. Obviously, the whole conversation had hit somewhere deep.

"Whatever. I don't care," he said, "You two can spend the rest of your dumb lives together if that's what you want! I never really liked you all that much anyway!"

He was practically spitting out the last words, before turning away, not looking at the two of you for the rest of the ride home. Kaoru, hesitantly scooted closer to you and stared at your face. His gaze never trailed from you for a second.

***

The rest of the evening was filled with an undealt with tension, though you tried to ignore it.. Kaoru had suggested you sleep in one of the windowless spare rooms on the first floor so that you didn't have to sleep in a drafty room. You didn't even try to run away; you were so exhausted. You didn't want to even think of a plan to escape. All you wanted was to regain some energy after the long night. Tomorrow you were going to make life utter hell for them, and you couldn't do that if you were exhausted.

You had woken up to find one of them sitting by your bedside, staring at you, which sent you rolling backwards from your mattress in surprise.

"F/N-chan, are you ok? I'm sorry!"

It was Kaoru.

"Yeah! You should be!" you said, "What on earth are you doing in here?"

"I'm sorry!" he said again, "I just wanted... I don't know. I wanted to see you."