Of the Fishermen and the Rescue of Nelwyn (Chapter 2, Part 2)

The air was as chill as the trail was cold. Nelwyn drew her cloak tighter as she gazed out at the dull grey river-water, now veiled with rain. The wind was coming up strong again from the northwest, and it rained or sleeted almost every day at this miserable time of year. She could just barely make out the form of Gaelen, who was carefully searching for signs on the other side of the river.

It had been nearly five days since their encounter with the slain fishermen and the escape of their enemy in the boat he had stolen. Nelwyn stood shivering on the riverbank, thinking of the coming storm, hoping that they would find signs of the boat being pulled  from the water before the river rose high enough to wash them away. The enemy would undoubtedly cast the boat loose when he was finished with it, but even if he didn’t bring it ashore, he would have to come ashore himself. Then they would find the signs if there were any to find. They were not as familiar with this section of the river—it was narrower, but deep and turbulent. As they both looked downstream, they observed some respectable rapids in the distance.

The rapids both cheered and worried Nelwyn. Surely their enemy would come ashore rather than risk crossing the wild water. If so, had they missed the evidence? Or was the enemy lurking just ahead, lying in wait? They hadn’t exactly been vigilant about concealing themselves from view. At any rate, Nelwyn hoped that they would find something before they reached the rapids. She just hoped they would not find the enemy himself; they were not yet ready for such a confrontation. Nelwyn thought of Talrodin’s astonished expression and shuddered. She didn’t like being all alone by the river. At least it was getting warmer as she made her way south, and the cold wind would soon pass. For now, she was miserable.

The Elves had encountered only two others in the last four days, fishermen of a different clan from those up river. Both had been on the east bank. Gaelen had questioned them, but from her posture it was apparent that she had learned little or nothing from them.

Gaelen was wet and miserable herself. She felt her cousin’s gaze, straightened, and waved at her. They would both go to shelter for the night facing the same dreary prospect—no dry wood, only a few remnants of food, and no nice, warm cousin to share cloaks and the pleasure of complaining with.

If they didn’t find something soon, Nelwyn feared they both would lose heart, and she had no wish for that. But they were so far from home already! Grumbling to herself, she settled her back against some large stones that protected her from the wind. This was not much of a shelter, but it was better than nothing.

A few moments later, Nelwyn was startled by a cry from the east. Though it sounded rather like a large bird, she knew it was Gaelen— she must have found something. Nelwyn leaped to her feet, shaking off the cold, and peered into the rain. Gaelen was pointing down and across the river, gesturing for Nelwyn to investigate. Gaelen started down river herself, keeping a close watch on the far bank. The boat was there, about a quarter mile to the south.

There was no sound, scent, or sight of the enemy. Nelwyn could tell that he had left the boat in haste and was now making his way over land, for he had left plenty of sign for her to follow. This was encouraging, as it meant that he was probably not aware that anyone was tracking him. Either that, or he didn’t care.

Though the second possibility frightened her, the first cheered Nelwyn as she climbed into the boat, which had been secured with a short rope to a nearby stone. She examined the small craft for signs, and there were plenty, if not very enlightening. A few remnants of food stolen from the fishermen and a few drops of strange, dark blood were left behind, not quite washed away by the rain. The same foul smell was now evident, but it was very faint, indicating that the creature had been gone for a while.

As she stood up to signal to Gaelen, the rear of the boat moving unsteadily under her feet, Nelwyn heard a sound from the brush at the edge of the trees. She spun around in surprise to behold a tall, shadowy figure moving rapidly toward her. It startled her enough to throw her off balance and, with a cry, she fell into the water. The cold numbed her senses for a moment, long enough for the current to pull her away from the bank.