Chapter Fourteen: Shocking Conversations

Radley knew something caused such a red face when Charlotte came downstairs and looked into his eyes. Embarrassment from something and it involved him in some way. Situations such as this stirred his curiosity more than most things. His sister didn't show anything but when she looked at Ben, her eyes softened and he swore he saw passion there. He wondered why. Ben had been friendly, but nothing romantic had happened to either girl.

He heard the sound of rain followed by Michael hollering before he jumped from his horse and dashed for the porch. "Michael has arrived," Radley said as he rose and headed for the door. When he came into the hall, he saw Owen come out of a room with paperwork in his hand.

"Good morning," he said as the door opened for Michael. "I didn't know you were here."

Owen shrugged, "I've been cloistered in my office trying to get some work done before my ten o'clock appointment. Since your brother has arrived, guess we can eat."

Michael removed his coat and handed it to Harwood, who hung it on a coat tree to dry. "I'm late because Father received a message from the solicitor at Croxley. One of the tenants lost his house to a fire that he says was set on purpose. Father's packing and ordering the coach made ready. I suspect this will take a few days, but he plans to go visit Lord Caldwell at Kensingdale for a couple of days before he returns." He saw Ben at the opening and gave him a nod.

"How does this affect Vivian?" Ben asked.

"We'll be here," Michael said as he glanced at Radley.

Vivian crossed the space to his side and took his arm. "This is not that uncommon, Ben. I'm not going with him. I never do unless we all go," she said looking up at his face. We will still go to the opera and Vauxhall Gardens. Shall we go and eat? I believe Owen desires us to do so since he needs to leave on an appointment." She smiled and belatedly bent a knee to greet him.

"Thank you, Vivian. 'Tis good to see you. Do you plan to spend the day with us?"

"Most of it. However, this time, I shall eat beside Ben. I would be pleased if you would join us. Last night I enjoyed your comments about Ben." She felt him pat her hand and smiled up at him saying, "He spoke of letters you wrote to me but never mailed. I wish to read them."

Ben glanced at Owen and rolled his eyes. "Are you stirring up trouble again?"

"She should know how you dealt with the separation. You two are closer than she realizes. Show her." Owen looked at Charlotte who stood beside Radley. "Michael, it looks like you and I will be able to discuss work. Ruth is likely eating in the kitchen."

They walked down the hall towards a dining room.

**

Breakfast went smoother than dinner had the night before. When they finished eating, Charlotte took Radley to the art room to show him around. She kept telling herself it was because she promised to keep busy while she spent time with Ben. But after seeing those drawings in that book, she knew why. She wanted more. Even the thought made her face heat as if she stood in front of a raging fire.

He walked around with his hands clasped behind his back looking at paintings... and studying her. "What embarrassed you this morning?"

Shock widened her eyes as her mouth dropped open. She lifted her hand to fan herself and became aware at the last moment what she was doing. So instead, she covered her mouth and walk towards a statue of a naked warrior with a helmet and a short cloth hiding his manly parts. "It was something Vivian said about you upstairs and then seeing your face," she said because it too was true.

A cocky grin twisted his lip up in the corner as he approached her. "Tell me what she said."

If he touched her, she feared she would tell him everything, especially with the way he was acting. Instead, she lied by saying, "That you are interested in me and it isn't just because you are performing a brotherly duty to chaperone her."