The Post War Dream

I can see everything now. Everything has already happened; the future is in the past. There are no more barriers to cross. All the doors of perception are wide open. I see how it all progressed and how it all played out. I understand that there is no divine truth and everything is permitted to happen and so it does happen. Free will without wisdom is not freedom.

*

Hitler escaped justice by committing suicide as the Soviet troops were closing in. He swallowed a cyanide pill and then shot himself in the head because he feared that the pill might not work. A man who was bullied by his authoritarian father grew up to bully the whole world.

King Paul was never allowed to come back by the Communist authorities who seized all his property and nationalised everything that he and his family owned. He was branded a traitor by the communist regime, a status he tried to avoid by abandoning a pact with Germany. His biggest regret was that he did not remain when the Germans invaded. He regretted that he didn’t fight alongside his people as his ancestors had done. Dying there and then would have been more honourable then dying slowly from a liver disease in a foreign land.

He never regretted the absolute power that he wielded after his father’s assassination, a power that he never planned to give up. He realized that Germans were a huge enemy and a threat that can remove him from that power. That was the main reason he wanted to cooperate with them but he never admitted that to anybody or to himself either. He died in exile and failing to produce an offspring, his family’s dynasty died along with him.

Marshal Joseph died a peaceful death in a hospital. He died of natural causes while so many of his political opponents were not granted that luxury. He never faced a trial, he was never accused of any of the crimes that he and his Communist Party committed in their rise to power, and later while they wielded that power. Ten years after his death, his Communist Party dissolved along with the rest of the Soviet Union.

His main wartime opponent, General Alexander, had his persona and name rehabilitated posthumously, many years after Marshal Joseph’s death. It was revealed that the Communists falsified evidence of collaboration with Nazis. Alexander was recognized as a true WW2 hero that he was. The General became in death, what his opponents feared most, a myth, a legend, a martyr.

President Freeman survived the bombing campaign of the Military Alliance. The bombing lasted for three months but the Alliance never thought of winning the war by bombing the mansion that he lived in. He hid in an underground bunker for the duration of the bombing and only emerged to appear on national television to announce the end of the bombing. This speech, instead of admitting utter defeat, was spun by Freeman to sound like the country had actually prevailed against the Alliance. The truth was that the Alliance bombed the country into giving in to the separatists. The violent campaign perpetrated by the terrorists had worked and they were granted independence from Freeman’s regime.

The bombs were not the only thing that the Military Alliance dropped on the citizens of my country. They occasionally dropped propaganda leaflets urging the citizens to rise up and overthrow Freeman’s regime. The leaflets talked about how evil and corrupt Freeman really was, they talked about the horrors that his paramilitary units have committed under his direct orders.

The leaflets always stressed that the Military Alliance is against Freeman’s regime and not against the people, that they are our friends and allies. What kind of a friend and ally drops bombs on you for three consecutive months? What kind of help and assistance are you lending by making people run scared for cover? Did they really believe that these same people would then be brave enough to go and start a revolution as outside forces are attacking the country?