Chapter 53

He stood there with his hands in his pockets, remaining quiet, which made me wonder why he came in the first place if he wasn't going to say anything. So I was the first to speak.

"Do you need anything?" I raised an eyebrow.

He clenched his jaw and walked past me, letting himself in. I raised my eyebrows in shock and turned around to look at him casually sitting on the couch.

"You can't just barge in like you own the place, get out."

He rolled his eyes and exhaled heavily, as if I was being such a nuisance to him, "I know what you're doing, okay? So just close the door and sit down so we could talk about this," He demanded like the completely asshole he was.

I furrowed my eyebrows, "Doing what? I'm not doing anything," I argued, growing impatient with his attitude.

"Oh, please, I can tell this is all pretense; acting like you don't care, like nothing is wrong. I'm not stupid, Rachel, and you're doing it just to push my buttons," He stood up, walking towards me when he gave up on my moving away from the open front door.

"So you barged into my room just to tell me this?" I crossed my arms.

"I knocked, didn't I?"

I shook my head in disbelief, trying to control my temper, "Get out."

He stayed silent but kept walking my way until he was inches away. He stretched his arm out around me and closed the door, moving his arm back to his side.

"I didn't say you could close the door," I said through gritted teeth.

"Let's just talk," his tone softened, turning into a more pleading one.

"I'll talk to you when you're done being an asshole."

He paused then nodded, "Okay," He agreed and opened the door, walked out and closed it behind him.

Not even a second later, there was a knock on the door.

Confused, I walked to where Niall had just walked out, and opened the door again. I grew even more puzzled when I was met with Niall once again.

"I'm done being an asshole," he said.

I breathed out a chuckle and opened the door a little wider for him to enter, gesturing for him to sit on the couch. He obliged and I followed suit, sitting next to him and giving him my full attention.

"I'm listening," I confirmed.

He decreased the distance that separated us before beginning to speak, "I'm sorry. I don't know what I was thinking."

I shook my head, "Sorry doesn't fix things, Niall. You can't say you're sorry every time you screw up.

"I know. It's just that I usually have an excuse, but this time I don't, so I don't know what to say," He placed a hand on my shoulder and I shrugged it off.

"Are you saying you ignored me for no reason?" I asked accusingly.

"No...no, I'm not." He answered.

"Then what?"

"I just...I was figuring things out. It's nothing that you need to be worried about."

"If it were nothing that I needed to be worried about then you wouldn't have had to avoid me in the first place," I pointed out.

"I know, but...please just trust me on this one, you're better off not knowing," He pleaded.

"No! You can't expect me to always be the one to make the sacrifice. I'm saying I'll forgive you if you just tell me why you avoided me but you won't even give me that, and then you expect me to be okay with this?" I stood up, restoring my anger.