The Day They Spread their Wings

The next chapters will contain spoilers of the end of the manga. so if you only watch the anime and don't want to be spoiled, I suggest closing this page NOW! ;)

--

--

Kageyama and Hinata spent the next 2 years pursuing their "teammates-with-benefit" relationship, satisfied with just kissing and jerking off to one another.

Their 3rd year of high school came to an end, with both of them graduating (not without difficulty, given their grades); and the Karasuno volley-ball team was about to lose some of their strongest players in history of the club.

So when the time came for goodbyes, Coach Ukai and Takeda-sensei decided to organize a last diner with everyone, including some of the previous Karasuno members, like Sawamura, Tanaka and Sugawara.

They were invited to a pot restaurant, which was quickly crowded with the big group, and were told to eat at will.

The students were also allowed to drink alcohol under their teachers' supervision. The celebration was both for the end of their studies, but also to congratulate Kageyama, who had already been accepted in the V-league (setting a new record).

"So the Freaky Duo there, are you sad you're not going to be playing together?" Tanaka asked at some point in the evening.

Kageyama and Hinata perked up their head at the same time, they were used to that nickname by now.

"Humph! Of course not!" Kageyama exclaimed with a frown.

"Y- yeah! All we want now is to confront each other in an official match!" Hinata proudly confirmed.

"Oh yeah, that's right! You were really big rivals before, huh?" Azumane-senpai remembered.

"And we still are!" both the boys assured in unison.

"Okay, okay! Well I hope you both join big teams and play against each other soon!"

Kageyama and Hinata nodded, but deep inside they felt this odd hollow whenever they thought of not seeing each other. They both glanced sideways and their eyes met. They just stared at each other silently for a few seconds, and knew they both felt the same way.

Then always in unison, they swallowed another glass of sake and returned to their previous discussion with the other members of the team

The evening went happily, and most of the young men ended up pretty drunk. At some point, Takeda-sensei had to call the evening quits, and regrouped everyone outside the restaurant to take them home. But of course, Kageyama and Hinata had been bickering all evening, about useless things; and once on the pavement in front of the restaurant, decided to challenge each other to a race...