Chapter 8

Jeremiah runs from the house to the pool really quickly. He yells for me to follow, and I do. The second the cold air hits me, I shiver, but I don't let a shiver stop me from doing a swan dive into the pool. I was surprised to find that this bathing suit still fits. I definitely thought that by now the top piece wouldn't fit.

I tread the water trying to stay on top. Jeremiah does the same. I go under water to clear my head and to try to get away from him. I open my eyes to see just a blur of blue. I stay down as long as I can. The water is where time stops, or just slows down. Nothing matters besides me here, swimming, in the darkness.

It feels just like it did years ago. Jeremiah and I swimming without saying anything. Because silence is louder than any word. Silence is easier. And better. No need to say anything, when you can swim in silence.

I finally come up for air when I know I can't hold my breath any longer. I see Mrs.Taylor dive in. I smile to myself. She always loved swimming. I listen to the wind blowing and let my mind forget about anything and everything. The big blue pool used to be my favorite place. Even after two years I still end up here.

"You're the first person he has allowed himself to cry in front of." I turn to find Mrs.Taylor next to me. I turn to face her as I struggle to stay on top. "I think you being here, even as a friend, is helping him. He won't even cry in front of me." I nod. He hasn't cried in front of anyone else? I guess you never stop trusting your first partner. I mean, look at what I've done today. I've come to comfort my ex. Because after you get past the pain, a piece of you still misses them. A piece of you will never stop loving them. Even though he never said he loved me, I know he did. Mrs.Taylor goes underwater and swims away. She leaves me here to think about what she said.

When we get out, we run to the house as fast as we ran out. All three of us are shivering from the now forty-degree weather, it keeps changing like crazy. Mrs.Taylor gets us each a towel. "Are you staying for dinner, hon? I made my famous lemon-chicken."

I look at Jeremiah and he nods. "Yeah, I will be staying." I don't really know what has changed since this morning, but I feel like I should be here for both of them. They're my past, and maybe I can't really escape my past, ever. I get dressed and dry my hair. I don't brush it because I'm not trying to impress anyone. I walk out into the kitchen. And sit on the couch next to Jeremiah. "Kinda feels like the old days, huh?"

"Yeah, except so many things have changed since we last sat here together."

"Yeah. How's your dad?"

He sighed. "Mad that I'm here. I mean I need to be here for her, but he was just really mad that I left with a drop of a hat."

I nod. "Yeah I get it. My dad wasn't very happy when Matt and I wanted to stay with my mom."

His mom pulls the chicken out from the oven and places it on the dinner table. It smells delicious. I can smell the lemon from here. I love citrus, and chicken. So when the two are put together it's like a dream come true. Jeremiah and I get up and join her at the table. He pulls out a chair, he used to do that for me. I guess he forgot that things have changed. He ends up sitting in the chair he pulled out. I sit on the side across from him. His mom sits at the head. She cuts the chicken and gives each of us a piece. "Enjoy kids!" I smile and cut my chicken with my knife. I take a bite and all those days I spent here come rushing back to me. I feel happiness in my heart.

I help Mrs.Taylor pick up the dinner table. "So I heard you have a boyfriend." Did Jeremiah tell her that? Does that mean they talk about me?

"Um, yeah. We've been dating for a few months now. He's really great."

She puts the yellow placemats away. "Aw, Livi that's amazing. Is he handsome?"

I push my glasses up. "Yes, he's very handsome. And he's very polite. My parents adore him." I'm not sure if this is a normal thing to talk about with your ex's mom, but she doesn't feel like a mom, she feels like my friend.

"That's awesome, Livi." She hands me a dish to put in the dishwasher and I put it in. She grabs the next one to rinse. "I'm glad you were able to move on, Jere hasn't dated anyone since you." Wait, but didn't he say he went to Disney with his girlfriend. Did he lie or did he not tell his mom? It's not my business, so I don't say anything.

I put the next dish in the dishwasher. "I mean, I had a hard time moving on. I was so used to him that when Cole, my boyfriend, first asked me out I was shocked. I didn't know what to say. I mean I knew I liked him, but I was scared we would end up like Jeremiah and I." She nods. My phone starts buzzing and I pull it out of my pocket. I have ten messages from my mom asking where I am. I text her saying I'll be home in a while. She texts back immediately saying that she was worried and okay, and that I'm in trouble. I sigh and continue talking with Mrs.Taylor.