Chapter Twenty-Seven

Emma was crouched down on the floor between the seats, holding Lukas’ hand. Now that they were mostly alone, Emma couldn’t help but cry, especially since Lukas appeared to be getting worse. Talon had assured her that he would be fine, but with so much blood soaking his clothes and pained expression on his face, Emma had a hard time believing that.

“I heard what you said back there,” Lukas said softly, partially because he didn’t want Talon listening in but mostly because he didn’t have the strength to speak loudly.

“Was I that loud?” Emma asked. She knew she’d been almost yelling at the hunter, but she wouldn’t have thought Lukas would have heard it.

“I’m a wolf. Sensitive ears.”

“Oh.”

“I love you too.”

“Oh god, I can’t believe I said all that.” Emma almost started laughing, although it obviously was due to stress and not amusement. “I can’t believe I actually threatened him.”

“And stole his wallet.”

“Can’t believe I did that either. I haven’t picked a pocket in ages.” She looked down at the small leather object that she still had in her hand.

“At least it’ll pay for the gas money,” Talon said from the driver’s seat.

“How far away is the hospital?” Emma asked now that Talon was involved in the conversation.

“No idea,” he said. “We’re not going to the hospital.”

“What? Lukas needs medical attention!”

“Yeah, but take him to a hospital and they’re going to see things wrong that aren’t wrong. We’re wolves. Our normal vital signs are different enough from a human’s that we really can’t go to hospitals.”

“So, what? You’re taking him to a vet?”

“Pretty much.”

“You’ve got to be kidding me.”

“The pack has doctors and our own kind of hospital. I’m taking him there.”

“How far away is it?”

“I don’t know. Hour and a half maybe.”

“There’s nothing we can do until then?” Emma looked back at Lukas, who had lost consciousness. He’d been going in and out ever since they got him into the truck.

“Well, I suppose we could call them and they might be able to meet us somewhere.”

“Do it!”

“Yes sir,” Talon grumbled, not like being ordered around like that, but he could tell that Emma was not someone to mess around with. He was sure if he didn’t do as she instructed, she’d simply climb over the seat to get his phone and make the call herself.

“It’s Talon,” he said once someone on the other end picked up. “Lukas’s been shot. Yeah, silver. We’re off 285 and heading down. The Burke’s? Yeah. I know where that is. Okay. Uh, no idea but he seems okay for now. Okay, see you there.”

Talon hung up and tossed the phone on the empty passenger’s seat, as that was more convenient than trying to put it back in his pocket while driving.

“The pack has a house about half an hour from here in Bailey,” he said. “Someone’s going to meet us there and they’ll take care of him.”