The Soul Mate

Chapter 1: The Wolf

    Winter was coming. I pulled my jacket tighter around me, trying to keep as much of my body heat as possible. My feet crunched in the amber leaves. I could smell the crispness of Autumn. Most of the trees were already bare. They'd fallen so early this year...

    I'm 17 and I've never been anywhere close to falling in love. I mean, don't get me wrong I've had my share of boyfriends, but I've never found myself thinking "Wow, he get's me, He's the one". All of my friends claim to have felt love at some point but I don't see how it's possible...

    I walked down the path towards the woods of my grandpa's backyard. I'd always felt more at peace here. This was the only place I could be me without being judged. I could just be myself- or who ever I am. I let my mind wander Looking up at the colorful trees. This was my favorite time of year. Everything was changing. Maybe, that's why I like it- It changes when everything else stays the same... Everything in my life either revolves around My Cheerleading "career", my grades, taking care of my brother, or my "image".

    I found the spot beneathe the tree I usually sat at to read or write or draw... to just escape the outside world- even if it was only for a little while. I can push everything out of my head and think about what I want. Think of adventures I know I'll never get the chance o have. Sometimes I find myself dreaming I could be like any other teenager, but like my mom says; "I didn't raise you to be ordinary. What you accomplish reflects back on me. Do you wish to see me look bad?" But I wish I could be 'ordinary' for just one day...

    I exhaled and heard a soft crunching of leaves behind me. My heart sped... I wish I'd brought that gun. I could never bring myself to shoot anything but maybe it would have scared whatever it was. I turned slowly, exhaling through my nose.

    When I turned I came face to face with a brown wolf, but the fur wasn't what caught my attention- not even the size of it- It's eyes, they matched the grey sky above us perfectly, I quickly glanced away from his eyes. He didn't move just stood there looking curiously at me. He stepped closer, hesatantly, but not like he was frightened of me. More like he didn't want to spook me. He was acting as though I was the one who'd bolt if he moved the wrong way. He tilted his head at a angle, and brought his ears up.

   "Hey, there," I cooed softly, slowly reaching my palm out towards him. Never believing for a second that I could actually get any closer then I already was to this wild animal. He never broke eye contact as he suddenly sauntered closer and pressed his body against my hand urging me to pet him, as if he were a pet dog and not a wild animal. He was big enough that if he wanted me dead he could have killed me. Easily.

    Obviously, it's not what he wanted from me. I was to shocked not to follow his demand. I thread my fingers through the course fur into the soft coat underneathe. I sighed loving the feel of his fur.

    A low growl came from the direction my wolf had come from. I glanced up. There was was another wolf. He was brown also, but he was speckled with gray. He was... Distinguished. Older then My wolf. His growl wasn't a warning, or even a threat. He was simply curious to where my wolf had dissapeared to, I guess.

    Then it hit me- the older wolf was probably his dad. I'd heard that wolves mate for life, but did that mean their offspring stayed with them? I patted my wolf gently.

    "Paige, your mom is here." I heard my grandpa's voice just over the rustling of the leaves as he called loudly from the porch. I exhaled and looked at the wolf.

    "Guess, I've gotta go, too. Parents always have the worst timing..." I told him running my hand down the length of his neck. He made a sound of contentment in the back of his throat, that reminded me of a purr. As I pulled away he presed against me harder. Trying to prolong the sensation that was happening between us.

    Before I could stand he pounced on me playfully knocking me back so I was resting on my elbows on top of the leaves. He easily out weighed me, but I could tell he was being overly careful being certain that he wouldn't hurt me. I laughed letting myself collapse all the way back into the leaves. He crawled up closer ad lay down beside me turning his face so he could see me. He scooted even closer putting his face nearer to mine. Then he burried his face into my hair I heard him inhale my scent. When he exhaled it tickeled my throat. He pulled back when I laughed aloud.

    "You tickled me." I accused him. Stroking the soft fur under his chin. He leaned into me again and nuzzled my neck pressing his nose to to my cheek. I sat up.

    "You're trying to put a move on me, huh?" I giggled at the thought of a wolf actually hitting on me. He put his paw on my leg, raising himself to my level. Very slowly he leaned in and licked my cheek. "No fair," I said lightly, making a joke of the impossibility of this whole situation."I know that's a wolf's kiss." I could swear he actually chuckled. It was a deep throaty growl that radiated from his chest. Almost like the purr he'd made earlier, but it had more of a rumble to it.

    I lay back down trying to escape him as he tried to lick me again. My wolf followed crawling so he was standing over me. He continued licking me, but when I tried to scoot away he merely went for my neck, his tongue lapping gently, moving lower because I'd released my jacket to push myself back. He lowered himself on me, keeping me where he wanted me, still not putting any weight on me, but making it impossible for me to escape. My hands raised to his shoulders and tried to push him away.

    When I did this I felt his chest rumble and his teeth nip at my neck. I immediately dropped my hands back to the cold ground. My heart raced. For the first time with my wolf, I felt fear. He must have realized this because he issued a low whine and pressed his cheek against mine. He whined again when I didn't move. I raised my hand to his shoulders again but this time I skimmed my hand down his strong back.

    "Paige, it's time to go!" I heard my mom's voice louder then my grandpa's had been. She was coming closer. I heard the wolf growl at the interruption.

    "I gotta go, please. I'll be back. I promise." I told him gazing up into his stormy eyes.

    He lowered  his face to the curve of my neck once more before getting up off me and turning around, walking to the brush where the older male had vanished into. I sat up slowly and shook the leaves from my hair.

    "Hey!" I called to my wolf. He turned his head to look back at me. "Promise me that we'll see each other again... soon." I whispered to him. He just looked at me.

    What was I expecting him to do? Answer me? As I pushed myself to my feet so I could walk away. He exhaled out of his nose loudly to get my attention, then walked up without pausing and put his nose to my palm inhaling my scent again, as if memorizing it.  Was he promising we'd see each other again? I don't know how I knew... But I did, He was promising and I believed him.

    "What took you so long?" Grandpa asked, looking behind me suspicially.

    "N-nothing. I was, um, just..." I stuttered, My brother interrupted, thankfully.

    "Paige, come on. We gotta go." My brother may have been older then me, but I was the mature one.

    I sprung forward and kissed my grandfather on his cheek. "Bye, love you!" I ran and jumped in the back seat of the car and  watched the forest that surrounded my grandfather's house slowly disappear, but even so, I had the feeling I was still being watched.