chapter ix

❝ɪ ɢᴏᴛ ᴅᴀʀᴋ ᴏɴʟʏ ᴛᴏ sʜɪɴᴇ, ʟᴏᴏᴋɪɴɢ ғᴏʀ ᴛʜᴇ ɢᴏʟᴅᴇɴ ʟɪғᴇ.❞

A sleek, black car hurtled to a halt outside the Umbrella Academy, four figures exiting with practised ease. Two were holding another figure, and one more held on another.

"If we don't get them upstairs, they're gonna die!" Klaus cried, holding Effie close to his chest.

They managed, and with a bandage on the head and a concussion test, Effie was okay. Tired, but okay. Allison, on the other hand, was not so simple. Their mother, who was known as their personal doctor because of her first aid training, had both hands gently on her throat, stopping the bleeding.

"She's suffered a severe laceration to her larynx. One of you will need to give blood." Unsurprisingly, all brothers volunteered. "I will."

"I'm doing it." Luthor said gruffly, but Pogo intervened.

"I'm afraid that's not possible, dear boy. Your blood is more compatible with mine."

As surgical tools clattered in the background, Klaus spoke. "Hey, don't sweat it! I-I got this, big guy. I love needles." He began rubbing his palm over his arm to make the blood vessels more prominent and easier to find.

Unfortunately, Pogo shot him down as well. "Master Klaus. Your blood is, how shall I say this," he paused. "Too polluted."

Finally, Diego grunted, "move." His siblings urged him on, all wanting to help their sister who was lying beneath them, losing blood by the minute. "I'll do it." He said, presenting his arm like a trophy to be won.

At the sight of the needle, however, he fainted. Pogo only said this; "stick him."

"The bastard that nearly killed our sister's still out there, with Vanya." Diego paced around the large space, gazing at his siblings. "We need to go after her."

Five interjected. "Vanya is not important."

"Hey, that's your sister. A little heartless even for you, Five."

"I'm not saying I don't care about her, but if the apocalypse happens today, she dies along with the other seven billion of us. Harold Jenkins is our first priority." He stared up at Luthor's

looming figure without fear.

Diego agreed. "I agree. Let's go."

"You guys count me out. I mean, you know, no offence or whatever, it's just I kind of feel like this is a whole lot of pressure for newly-sober me, so.." Klaus's voice trailed off.

"You're coming." Diego said firmly.

Klaus refused, "no, no, no! I mean, I think we can all agree that my power's.. I mean it's pretty much useless. I'd just be holding you guys back."

"Klaus, get up." Five growled.

"You can't make me."

Within that split-second, Diego flung a knife that landed right by his crotch, but didn't actually touch it. Klaus gasped and panted, changing his tune. "Oh, and then again, a little exercise couldn't hurt." He gingerly got up off the couch, muttering to himself.

"What'd I miss?" A familiar voice entered the room- Effie.

Five cracked a smile, and after beckoning for her to hug him, they did. "How's it hanging?"