Seventeen: Green?

"You don't speed?" I ask Paul as he continues to cruise 50 down the winding road. I can usually make this drive in 15 minutes but it's been 15 already and we're not even halfway there.

Sometimes I forget that the boys aren't human. I like to forget things, to push them down so I don't have to remind myself. Then I'll remember, and I won't be able to look at them the same. I haven't had the moment yet, the moment when I realize something really happened. I haven't had it this time like I've had it in the past.

"No, I don't." Paul says, interrupting my thoughts. "I like to cruise down this road." I nod my head and turn back to the window. "So... what's your favourite colour?" A laugh escapes my lips.

"My favourite colour?" I ask as I turn to look at him. He nods his head in assurance. "Green."

"Green?" He asks and I nod my head. "Aren't you sick of seeing all this green in Forks?"

"Not really." I sigh, leaning back in my seat. "If I had a choice between being a millionaire in Cali, or being homeless in Forks, I would choose Forks." It's the truth, I don't think I could ever get sick of the green that is Forks. I hardly ever visited the beaches in Cali anyways, they were always filled with trash and people. I remember how much the city stunk, all those people living in one place grossed me out. I love living in Forks, it was paradise until about a week ago, even with Bella screaming all those nights I was glad I had a family to go home to.

"You lived in Cali?" He asks.

"Up until about a year ago." I shrug. "And I hope I never have to go back." I hit the dash out of Cali as soon as I payed off my car. That 2000 Nissan Altima is the reason I'm here right now. Dad pays for my insurance on it, I offered to get a job and pay for it myself but he insisted.

"What was so wrong with Cali?" He asks.

"It's different for kids in the system." I say. I remember all the broken promises my caseworker made, she always said things like 'This family will love you.' or 'This one is different.' She was right, some were different, but I've never had a good one. The only good one I've ever had I screwed it up and they kicked me out. I still have a bag hidden underneath my bed, filled with a pair of clothes, two water bottles, fifty dollars and my gun, just in case. It's still not anything like the bag I used to keep hidden.

"Oh." He sighs. "How long have you been living with Charlie?"

"About 6 months." I say. I feel like I've known him longer, I wish I had. He's the only family that has every truly made me feel welcome, and I don't see myself leaving anytime soon. "How old are you anyways?" The thought occurred to me because I knew he was a bit older than Em but he's more muscular.

"Sixteen." He says. I blink at him.

"Sixteen?" I ask. He nods his head. "You don't look sixteen."

"Yeah I get that a lot." He says as he pulls into the driveway. I wave by to him and head inside. Even though I know the wolves are guarding the house tonight, I don't feel exactly safe. I lock the door and head up to my room.

"Hello?" I mumble into my phone.

"Where are you?" A soft voice asks.

"You just woke me up." I answer.

"We need your help here." They say. "Hurry up and get over here."

"Who is this?" I ask.

"It's Emily." She says. "We need you over here." I assume she means the cultural building and I sit up. I look around and it's still dark outside.

"See you there." I yawn while wiping my eyes and hang up the phone. I stretch and look over to my alarm clock that sits on my small dresser. I read 3:22 am. I squint my eyes to make sure I'm reading it right before slipping on a hoodie and some sweatpants. I grab a nice change of clothes and throw it into my bag before grabbing my keys and rushing outside. My backpack bobs against my back as I run towards my car.

The drive to La Push is routine now. Today is supposed to be my first day at La Push High School. I disenrolled from Forks last week but I haven't enrolled into La Push yet. My phone rang and I answered without looking at the contact first.

"I'm almost there Emily." I lied.

"This is Lia." She says. "Sorry if I woke you."

"No! No, you didn't!" I assure her. "I'm heading to help out at a funeral. You're fine. So what's up?"

"Are you in a good state of mind right now?" She asks. I knew what she meant. I used to smoke a lot back in Cali to the point where I couldn't get high off of less than three bowls. It became a routine, but when I left I couldn't afford it anymore, I still have a bit in my glove compartment that I need to get rid of. I kept some to sell just in case I needed the money.

"Yeah. I've been clean for a hot minute." I say. "Are you okay?" I can hear the slight panic in her voice.

"Jason," She starts and my stomach drops. I felt like I've gotten hit by a train. My eyes start to water and my vision gets blurry. "He was arrested." A tear falls down from my face and I grit my teeth. I promised myself I wouldn't cry over him anymore. He doesn't deserve my tears. I've buried those memories of him so far down I'd almost forgotten about him—as if I could ever forget. I'm finally getting better and now this happens. "I think you should give a statement." She says.

That's what I do. I try to forget. I push my feelings down so that I don't have
"I'll think about it." I say and hang up, throwing my phone to the passenger seat. I wipe the tears from my eyes with the sleeves of my hoodie and look up. It all happened so quick.

It's too late to stop and my car slams straight into the damn deer.

Sorry this was a short chapter but I'm trying to update more often. Do you guys like shirt chapters more often or long chapters but slower updates?