Chapter 6

As I slowly unfolded the note, I gasped at what I read. "Whoever finds this needs to help me, the people who have sold you this tack are not what they seem to be. They were our enemies from day one of living here, and they are the reason that we had to leave our home and horses. Anyhow, this tack was stolen, stolen from my horses and the people that now own them. I can help you catch them, but please keep this private and only tell those dearest to your heart." this was written in tiny, neat, cursive handwriting. I debated whether to tell Isaac. He wasn't really dear to my heart, although very hot...... I decided it would be best to tell him; he went to the effort of showing me his evidence, I might as well show him mine. "Ughh, Isaac?" I asked shyly. "Yeah, what's the problem?" a hint of worry creaping into his voice. "Read this note," I quickly passed him the torn piece of paper. His brow furrowed as he read the letter. "Wow, this is great evidence, but do we know if it is true, or if someone is just messing with us?" he asked inquisitively. "Well, under the circumstances, I think that it is our best bet to finding their enemies, who have turned out to be thieves." I stated. "Hey, look, their is a phone number attached to the back of the note!" I said excitedly. "Awesome!" replied Isaac. "Oh, and Maddie, I think that we should tell our parents, but know one else, we don't want this to get around this small town," he added. "Yeah, probably," I said wistfully. I was thinking how hard it would be to keep such a big secret from Lorietta, but I'd have to, we just couldn't risk this getting all over town.

                          While Isaac and I were walking to dinner, we discussed what this person might know about the thieves, and strategies that we could use to catch them. Isaac introduced me to his parents, and after giving them a polite greeting, we sat down to spaghetti and meathballs. I was delighted, this was one of my favorite meals even though I didn't have it often. At about seven o'clock, I had to leave, so I thanked Isaac and his family, and then hopped on Song and leisurely rode home.  When I reached our driveway, I was greeted by two very angry parents. "Where have you been?" my dad asked sternly. "I was at a friend's, I told Mom when I left," I replied, not really seeing what the problem was. "I told you to be home by six Maddie," my mom said, "What, six?" I said. "I never heard you say anything about the time that I had to be back," I protested. "Honey, you really have to listen to us," my mom said, trying to lighten the mood. "We were really worried, and you wouldn't answer your cell phone," my dad explained, he seemed less tense and more like himself now. "Oh, no!" I practically yelled. "What is it?" my mom and dad asked in unison. "I left my phone in Isaac' barn," I said. "Well, you'll just have to call him on the home phone and tell him to bring it tomorrow," my dad replied. "But I was supposed to text Lor tonight," I protested. "You get to talk to her tomorrow Maddie," my mom replied. "Well, I guess," I said, and trudged up the stairs to do my homework.

                          After finishing my assignments, a ran down the stairs to find my parents sitting in the living room, deep in discussion. Deciding to talk to them about the note in a minute, I walked into the kitchen  for a quick snack. As I at my graham crackers and milk, I overheard my parents talking about the farm; what they were saying was not pleasing to me. It seemed that there was not many people interested in adopting rescue horses; and there were many more horses that  came to our rescue this year. My mom seemed to be hoping that getting the horses competing in competitons would help their adopting pick up. Also, they seemed to be planning to make a horse rescue website, where the horses would be advertised. As I walked into the living room, my parents both looked up and greeted me awkwardly. "So we're in some financial trouble?" I asked uncertainly. "Yeah, honey" my mom answered, "I guess we are." "Also, if the adoptions don't pick up after the show, I am going to go back to being a part time equine vet," Dad added. "Wow," I stated. I knew that this would mean I would be picking up more of the horse work and chores. "Wait, what if we started a theraputic riding program?" I asked. "We could use some of the mellow rescue horses and keep them permanently; that way, the income would be steadier," I said excitedly. "Well," my parents said together. "You know, I have a degree in pshycology and was a counselor before I met your father," Mom said thougthfully. "I used to teach horseback riding lessons to my brothers when I was a boy," said Dad. "And plus, some rescue horses seem to know what it is like for the kids, having a hard life and all, and seem to bond with them very well!" I added persuasively. "We'll have to think about it, that would be a big commitment and a lot of work," Mom said slowly. "Yes, very much so," Dad agreed.

                      In all the excitement, I almost forgot about the reason that I came downstairs in the first place. "Mom, Dad, I wanted to let you know that I was at my new friend Isaac's house today and he has a lead on who stole the tack; in fact, he has some of it." I said mysteriously. My parents excitedly asked me questions about it and I answered them. They also told me that I shouldn't be getting in contact with any of these people unless I asked them first. I told them I wouldn't, but it kept haunting me. If I was with Isaac and we found a lead, would I really wait for my parent's permission?