chapter five

"S-sure."

Hinata beamed.

"Yay! Sleepover time!"

"You sound like an idiot."

Hinata mocked a frown. "Wow Kageyama-kun, how rude. Oh I know, I'll go get you some blankets and stuff!"

Kageyama shot up. "Hinata don't get-"

Hinata was about to run out of the room when he collapsed onto the ground.

"Hinata! You dumb ass! You are barely recovering from a bad fever. You're weak right now!"

He sighed.

The tone of his voice quickly turned gentle as he kneeled on the ground in front of Hinata. "Now don't try getting up. Here, I'll help you."

Kageyama tenderly hoisted him up into his arms and layed him back down on his bed. In that moment, he noticed Hinata's cheeks grow darker.

"Thanks. Sorry about that." He scratched the back of his head and laughed. "I guess I am kinda dumb, huh."

Kageyama frowned. "Don't say that. You're... you're not, really. Besides, it's my fault you're sick, right?"

"Hey, no it isn't! Are you saying that because you took my coat?"

Kageyama nodded in response. "Yeah, why else?"

Hinata looked at him, right in the eyes. "Kageyama, it's not your fault. I was actually outside for a while because I wanted some time to myself. You know, since we lost, I was upset. We were so close too! We took the second set and almost took the third! It sucked."

He grinned. "So yeah, it's on me. Not you, Kageyama-kun! I would have gotten sick, coat or no coat! Just don't waste all your time feeling bad! You tend to do that a lot."

God, how he's right.

Kageyama didn't want him to think so, though. "What do you mean I 'waste my time feeling bad'? I don't do that."

Hinata laughed. "Are you serious? You never stop frowning!

Plus, you know, I-" He began to cough.

"Hey, drink this." Kageyama brought a bottle of water up to Hinata's lips.

Shit! I didn't mean to do that.

Instead of taking the bottle from him, Hinata drank from it while it was still in Kageyama's hand.

Oh god.

Hinata sighed. "Ah, that's better!" He regained his smile. "Thanks!"

Kageyama closed the bottle of water. "Why do you always do that?"

"Do what?"

"Smile. Even when you're in pain. Like when we're playing volleyball and the ball hits you right in the face, you always smile anyways."

Kageyama looked to see Hinata clearly trying to think about the question.

Why is he taking this so seriously?

Hinata smiled yet again.

"Well, Kageyama-kun,"

"What?"

"What did I just tell you?"

"I don't know."

"About frowning! Is it because you're always mad?"

"Well yeah, usually."

Hinata's smile grew wider.

"So I guess it's because I'm happy!"