Chapter 8 - Talamayas

During the day, he'd had Shan clear the castle of all of their blood providers

During the day, he'd had Shan clear the castle of all of their blood providers. The nomads who served them never really minded when they asked things of them, and they had filed down into the lowest levels on the western watch station. They didn't often get time to just roll around and relax, so Tala didn't doubt that they were all just as happy as they'd been doing menial tasks around here. His healthy relations with the desert nomads kept the humans safe from the extreme weather swings as well as any other erroneous issues, while giving the Sols blood without relying on blood slaves that could turn on them for freedom at any moment.

It was imperative that there be no pulses to distract Neil. The boy was already a walking ghost this evening. Getting him out to the gardens had been a feat in itself, and after some serious coaxing, he was now sitting in the grass next to the twins who were both beaming at Neil with curiosity. They were all so young. The twins were in their prime, likely twenty-two or three in human years, but their eyes were so innocent and new to everything.

It was eerie that the more mature of the twins didn't need to tell the gentler one anything as they sat. The boy had woken and just known, something that would prove invaluable once he was trained. Having two men in completely different places who knew the happenings of both instantly but could remain completely invisible was quite an asset.

They also seemed to like him, and Tala had no idea when that had happened. The one who'd snuggled him the night before had lied, he knew. It wasn't hard to notice, but it had seemed harmless. Something he'd seen while invisible had given the man respect for him, but he was wary to share what. Considering it couldn't be the worst thing to hide, Tala turned to Neil.

With his eyes cast into the grass, he was listening even if he didn't know it, reaching for a pulse, blood. But he was fed. Tala could tell by the color of his skin and the vibrancy in his eyes. Vincent had left him alone with many humans, and Tala knew what that meant, why he now thought he was a monster, and wouldn't go near him even when he reached.

"It's okay," the timid twin said, and Neil flinched his gaze to the man and cringed. The twin had spoken too loudly for him. Vampires were hyper sensitive to sound right after their change, but the twins seemed to have acclimated faster than Neil. "I'm Ghost," the man said, offering Neil a hand, and Neil stared at it.

Neil reached slowly, and Tala watched as he grazed his hand against Ghost's with the gentlest of touch, feeling the foreign dark energy that vibrated from his skin before retreating back to himself. It was a strange sensation, how vampire kind buzzed to those who could sense magic.

"It doesn't make you a monster," Ghost said, and Neil snapped his eyes over with confusion, with fear. "They left me alone in a cell with humans, and I couldn't stop myself either," Ghost said softly, and tears rose to Neil's eyes. "You had no control, just as I didn't, but if you dwell on it, you will only get worse. The best you can do is learn to control the hunger so that you harm no one else."