Chapter 38

'The truth always comes out

Sometimes it's right away

and other times

it's down the road.

But listen to me very closely . . .

the truth always comes out.'

- Unknown

. . .

Rip wrapped her arms around JJ in a hug, burying her face in his chest.

     "We're gonna see him again, y'know." She felt the rumble of his voice through his chest as he wrapped his arms around her.

     But she wasn't sure she would see John B again. Her past stopped her from running down to Mexico because if she took Noah and ran with them, she'd call so much more attention to them. She couldn't do that to them. She could do that to Noah, making him live a life on the run.

     JJ pulled away at her lack of response. "Hey? What's wrong?"

     Rip chewed her bottom lip as she realised that she had to tell him the truth. She had to come clean. Her stomach twisted violently but she couldn't lie to him. Not anymore. Not after everything they'd been through. Not if JJ wanted to figure out what the hell it was between them.

     She couldn't lie anymore.

     "JJ, there's something I need to tell you." She forced her eyes to meet his and JJ's face instantly morphed into one of worry.

     "What?"

     "I –"

      Suddenly they were surrounded by cops cars with blaring sirens.

      Noah instantly ran over to Rip for her to pick him up.

      Cops flooded out of their cars, guns raised an pointing directly at them.

      "Hands up!" A tall bald man with caramel skin ordered as he stepped forward. "Hands up!"

      Kie instantly did as she was told, with JJ closely following. Rip managed to prop Noah on her hip so she could put one hand up but there was no way she was going to put him down. That left Pope.

      "Pope, hands." Kie repeated.

      He sighed through his nose, a fire alight in his eyes but eventually he swallowed whatever reckless fight he had in him and complied.

      Among the officers Rip noticed Shoupe walking forward. "We're too late. He's gone. God damn it! Bratcher, have your guys stand down. Let me talk to these kids." He turned his gaze to them a no nonsense look in his face. "Where the hell is he?" None of them made to talk. "Where the hell is he?" He turned to JJ. "JJ? I see you're livin' up to your name." But JJ didn't bite, so Shoupe moved on. "Pope, how about you? This isn't a fucking game! You can do the right thing now! Where'd he go?" But Pope wasn't talking either. And then through the lens of his sunglasses, Rip knew his gaze had landed on her.