Chapter 56

"I never took you for romance," she says. I raise an eyebrow.

"I guess you bring that out in me because I'm not a romantic person," I say defensively, and she nods.

"Thank you for this; I appreciate it and your efforts," she says with a smile. I can't help but return the smile.

"Do you trust Grace?" I ask her, and she frowns.

"Shouldn't I?" she challenges, and I shrug.

"From the little time I knew her, she's not a bad person. I mean, I trusted her with a lot business-wise, and she never screwed me over," I say.

She nods. "So you think it's wise that I trust her?" she asks, and I shrug.

"Zama, you're a person who likes doing things her own way. I don't think it really matters what I say or think, honestly," I reply.

She sighs. "It's like every minute I think I have you figured out, you find a way to take me 10 steps back," she says, sipping her wine.

"I don't know what you are doing with Grace and Sokhulu, but I really wish you all the best. If you need help, then feel free to hit me up, and I'll see what I can do," she squints her eyes at me as if searching for something, anything she can hold onto.

"I don't understand you. I'm trying, but I just can't seem to understand you," she says. I look at her food and nod towards it.

"Eat up; you have to return to work," I say, and she returns her focus on her food.

"Will I be seeing you later?" I ask her, and she looks up at me.

"Did you really want me to come?" I shrug.

"I'd appreciate it, but it's ok if you're not up for it," I say.

She nods. "How long have you been seeing someone?" she asks.

"It's been a week now. I started last week," I confess, and she nods.

"And how is it going?" I shrug.

"As good as it should, I guess. I don't see the need for it, but I guess it's something I need to do to understand myself and for you to understand me, I guess," she nods.

"So, you did this for me?" she asks, biting her fork.

"You could say that," I put my cutlery down.

"Zama, I like you, maybe even love you. Seeing the look on your eyes that day when you left my house scared me; it's not a look I ever want to see on your face again, especially directed at me. If therapy means I'll never get to see you look at me like that again, then I'm all for it. I enjoy seeing you smile; I love seeing you happy, Zama. I love that face you make when you cum, and those are the only faces I ever want to see you wear in my presence," I admit, and she looks at me, placing her cutlery on the table.

"Only you would make me feel special and like a freak all in one sentence," she says with a light chuckle, making me chuckle too.

"Well, you're my freak, aren't you?" I ask her, and she smiles, stretching her hand to mine. She holds my hand and looks at me with so much love.

"I want to be with you," I slowly try to pull away, but she doesn't allow me.

"Allow me to finish, please. I love you, Sipho, and I want to be with you, but with Kumkani still in the picture, that won't be possible. I'm sure you understand how messy divorces can get?" I take a deep breath and let it out.

"I understand," she nods.

"Kumkani won't let things go just like that, and I don't want you to be dragged into my divorce. You have a nice clean reputation, and I would like to keep it that way," she says with a sweet kind smile.

"You shouldn't be looking out for me, Zama. I'm a grown-ass man," I say, and she smiles, pulling her hand away, giggling.

"I know, but you are literally the only good thing, apart from work, that's going on in my life, and I would like to keep you like that. Pure," she says, and I chuckle.

"I am anything but pure, Zama. I can't stay away from you; I won't. You can fight Kumkani with me by your side," she shakes her head no.

"I understand that, but I don't want you caught up in this. I just need a little patience from you, that's all, and I promise you, as soon as this is over, I am all yours," she says in a promising tone. I smile, taking her hand into mine and rubbing the back of her hand.

"I think you should move back in," she looks at me and lets out a sigh.

"I can't do that, Sipho," she says. I wait for her to state her reasons.

"I just can't," she says.

"Why?" I ask her confused.

"Because, for starters, the divorce, and also because I don't want to crowd your space," she says, I take her hand into mine.

"You could never crowd my space, and secondly, the divorce is exactly why you should move into my place. I don't trust that Kumkani won't try to sell you again," I explain, and she sighs.

"I thought you chose the place I live in," I frown because she was not supposed to know that.

"Yeah, Brier mentioned it at some point. Isn't the complex I live in supposed to be safe?" she challenges, and I shrug.

"It probably is, but it's nothing compared to the security at the farm. Stop being stubborn and move in with me," she sighs.

"Do I have a choice?" she asks, and I shrug.

"No," she chuckles.

"Of course not. Fine then," she says.

"If you don't move in with me, then I'll come and stay with you until you move in," I frown.

"You? Live in my apartment? My shabby cute small apartment?" she frowns confused.

"Why do you call it that? It's a nice place," she chuckles