Chapter 7: It Started with a Hotel Lobby {EDITED}

We were safely in the car, when I saw a boy I could never forget come chasing after me, and I looked back at his confused face, and knew I would put this all behind me. I mean come on it was a few weeks when I was fourteen I am reading way too far into this. I turn to Brooke, and the second I do we both burst into laughter. That was insane after all.

"I can't believe we just did that!" I choked out between laughs. "That was crazy."

"We were memorable. That's for sure." Brooke says, wiping away tears.

We pulled up in front of a bad hotel on the wrong side of town, which was about all we could afford at this point. This was a big risk for us. We had nothing else to do. There was no back up plan. It was this or nothing and that is scaring the hell out of me.

"Emmybear?" I hear from behind me. I turn around to see the familiar brunette that I had been chatting to for years. "Brooke! Emmy!"

"Ally!" I smile and embrace the tall girl in the biggest hug I can manage. Brooke is enveloped in the hug as well and now we were pretty much a huge blob. "This is so exciting. Where's our room?" I ask her as I pick up what few bags I brought with me.

"Come with me, my dear friends." Ally smiles and leads us towards the elevator.

The elevator was pretty much the size of a relatively small walk in closet, and it was almost impossible to fit everything we needed to in it. We stay cramped with suitcases in our arms and sitting on the floor between our feet until we reach the fourth floor. We finally got off the death trap that was the elevator, and head towards our room, 406. As soon as Ally opened the door, I took in the scent of damp carpet and mildew.

"Well it's very... damp." I say, stepping into the room where the carpet squishes beneath my feet. I don't even want to know what it was damp with. "Ally, there has to be somewhere else we can go. I mean this place is not a livable place. There is no way it isn't shut down by now. Unless London laws are very loose about this sort of thing."

"This is the only thing we can afford collectively." She says, rubbing the back of her neck.

"At least I brought a mattress pad and sheets. When I heard the price of this place was about ten pounds per night I knew that something had to be wrong with it." I crinkle my nose as a new scent wafts through my nostrils. I was certain that it was the faint scent of urine. "I'll be back. I'm going to go scope out other hotels. There needs to be one that we can afford somewhere that doesn't smell like urine and semen." I crinkle my nose once again and head out the door I came from.

I walked into a nice enough hotel just down the street. I walked up to the manager, and got to talking. "Hello. We're staying at a hotel down the street and we were just wondering if you had any rooms open and how much they are?" I ask the rather handsome man sitting behind the desk.

"I'm always happy to be of service. Especially to a pretty girl like you." He winks at me, and I start blushing. I have never been one to accept flirting well. "I'm sorry but there aren't any open rooms." He says, sending me an apolegetic look.

"But you have a whole row of keys hanging up there!" I tell him, and sigh, putting my head in my hands. "Please. Is there even a servant's quarters we could stay in. We could work off the debt we'd owe you." I offer him, pleading.

"I'm sorry there's really nothing I can do." He says, and I put my head in my hands.

"I'm here to pick up the keys for rooms 401-423." A guy in sunglasses and a hat says to the manager as I stand there off to the side with my head in my hands.

"You!" I say, turning to the man. "You're the person who is making me stay in that god awful hotel down the street. I hope you're happy." I glare at him, and he calms down. After I said 'you' he suddenly got all tense. He moves away from the desk and keeps walking away.

"Please! I call after him. " Can we please just pay you the money it takes to rent the room? Please. This hotel down the street has rats and fleas and bed bugs and smells like urine and semen and it's just terrible. Please!" I say as he keeps on walking down the hallway. His back turned to me, I turn to walk out of the hotel. My hopes of gettting a better place completely lost. That's when suddenly I feel a hand on my shoulder, and out of instinct I send my "attacker" over my shoulder and take on my pose.

"Damn!" I hear the man curse. The same man who had rented out all of the fourth floor.

"Oh my god! I am so sorry. Are you okay? Damn it! I am so sorry. Are you okay?" I help him up, and brush off the dirt I got on him from the mud that I had happened to drag in. "Oh my god!" I wince as I accidentally see the tag and it happens to say Jack Wills. "I swear once I can afford it I'll buy you a new sweatshirt."

"No, really it's fine." He says, voice deep and gruff as if he was trying to hard to disguise his voice.

"Well, bye." I say as I head out of the hotel with a bright red face.

"Wait!" He says, handing me a key.

"No. I can't let you do this. I ruined your sweatshirt and I hurt you and I don't deserve this." I say, trying to hand him the key back.

"Tell you what? You can work off the room. Believe me, we can find use for you." He says, looking me in the eye.

"Like what?" I ask nervously, looking at him.

"Cleaning, wake up calls in the morning, etc." He says, reassuring me.

"I don't know. Thank you, but I don't think that I could do enough." I say, handing him the key once again.

"Really I insist." He says, walking away.

"What time do you want me to wake you up?" I ask the half blonde, half brunette guy standing in front of me.

"We need to be up by seven at the absolute latest. We'll give you three strikes then after that, you're out of here." Niall says, looking down at me.

"You won't regret this I promise." I extend my hand to have him shake it, when he pulls me in for a hug instead.

"Thank you for this." I say, as I pull away. "Thank you for taking a chance on me. On us. You won't regret this." 

I watched him as he walked away, completely in awe. "Thank you!" I pull out my cell phone and call Brooke who was still in the hotel down the street. 

"Brooke I found a place for us." I say, running my hand through my hair.

"Really? Where?" She asks, excitedly.

"Down the street. Bring your stuff. We have a room on the fourth floor. We have it almost all to ourselves." I say, feeding them the good news first.

"What's the catch?" She asks, her voice laced with concern.

"I have to be the maid to the person who rented out the whole floor. Guess who it is." I say, placing my hand over my eyes.

"Who?" Brooke asks worryingly.

"The biggest boyband in the known universe."

"You mean that you happened to get a job for One Direction? While looking for a better hotel room? Which they happened to have rented out?" Brooke says, sounding completely incredulous. As she said it out loud, I knew it was completely ridiculous. I mean that sort of thing only happens in shitty fanfiction written by angst ridden teenagers.

"It's like we're straight out of some fan fiction." Ally chimes in from Brooke's end.

"Just get down here. I need to get to work. Knock on room 409 when you get here. That's our room." I say, hanging up the phone and rubbing my forehead. "What the hell have I gotten myself into?"