X

Karsyn Sekai Miller

"I'm tired of being tired of being tired, that part of me done died." - Lil Baby

As I walked out of the library and made my way to my car, I stopped dead in my tracks .

"Oh my god!" I whined, dramatically stomping my feet. It was just my luck to have gotten a flat tire. I knew nothing about changing a tire, I didn't know anything about cars at all. I just knew that when a light came on, I needed to call my daddy or my brother.

Running my fingers through my 26' inch raw Malaysian extensions, I pulled out my phone to call Karter, since he would probably get here before my dad.

"You need help?" I heard Ryder's voice from behind.

I shook my head. "No, I'm trying to call my brother. If he doesn't answer, I'll call my daddy or AAA. I'm fine, you can go ahead."

When Karter's phone went straight to voicemail, I made a mental note to cuss him out.

"Nah, I got it." In a swift motion, he removed his Palm Angels hoodie and took off his expensive watch before sitting it on top of the car.

I typed away on my phone, sending Karter a text before calling my father.

"No, I don't want to hold you up." I protested.

A small breath of relief escaped my lips as I heard my daddy's voice.

"Yes babygirl?" He answered in his usual serious tone.

Studying Ryder, I watched as he messed with the spare tire on the back of my car. Waltzing over to me, he took my keys from my hand and unlocked the doors before handing them back to me.

"I caught a flat tire but I think I have some help."

Ryder began to take the kit out of the trunk.

"You sure?" My daddy asked, sounding concerned.

"Yes, I'll call you back if I need you and I'll see you later." I hung up, not giving him a chance to respond .

"I told you I had it."

"What kind of nigga would I be to stand right here, knowing that you need help and leave? I don't even play like that."

I didn't say anything, I just waited by the sidelines until he was finished.

"Thank you so much." I stepped closer to him, inhaling his cologne which I recognized as Sauvage by Dior.

"That's nothing, I'll here if you need me. Be easy, alright?" He gently touched my chin before picking up his hoodie and watch and walking away. Being weird, My eyes followed him until he got into a newer model Porsche.

Tearing my eyes away from him, I looked at the back of my red Jeep Wrangler and frowned at how ugly it looked without the tire on the back. Not thinking too much about it, I got in the car. I started it but didn't immediately pull off, the first thing I did was check my email, I hadn't heard from the leasing agent and I was starting to overthink. What if I get denied again?

Scrolling through my email, I saw her name, unintentionally holding my breath, I clicked it, and let out a scream, as I saw the words APPROVED along with a Welcome Letter. This was the next big step for me.

With a big smile on my face, I drove away from campus and went home. Hours later, I was in the car with Karter, on the way to Morton's.

"So you're really leaving me, huh?" He turned to glance at me before putting his attention back on the road.