Two

Life kept going on, and Ryuuk fit into the family like the weirdest family dog in the history of western society. He asked so many goddamn questions at sarcastic times... He must have had an eternity (ba-dum pssh) to get that kind of timing.

"So... Who's cuter? You or your sister?"

I was flipping through a photo album in the living room, he was lounging around across the back of the couch with an apple. We haven't eaten apples ourselves since he arrived. Mom just lets him eat them, unconcerned with keeping it on the down-low.

"What do you mean?"

"Who do your parents like better? Everyone has a favorite."

"I... haven't thought about it."

Of course I have. I take the sibling rivalry more serious than Erica does! I can't just sit back without securing my place, it's fucking illogical.

"Of course you have! C'mon, if you had to guess at it..."

"Dad would choose Erica. Mom, me."

"Really?"

"Yeah."

He tossed the remnants of the apple's core into his endless jaw, unblinking eyes piercing my prefrontal cortex as I found the pictures from when I was born. Turning the page, I found one that stood independent on a page.

"Huh. That's what your gooey offspring look like- after you're cleaned."

No pictures were taken during any of my Mom's births.

I was surprised that was the first thing he noticed. The picture was Dad holding me in the hospital. His face was hidden by his hair and it being turned towards me. Only a snippet of his jaw was clearly visible. Mom took the picture, she'd told me before.

"So he would choose Erica? That's an interesting conclusion."

"I aim to entertain."

He scoffed and pulled another apple up from the bowl at my desk.

"What's up with you an' apples?"

I'd been told before, but Ryuuk was generally very open to questions. If we had to have a God of Death in our house, I was glad that we had a sociable one. 

"They're very pleasurable- comparable like smoking things and drinking alcohol to you humans. But, without any true drawbacks except for a withdrawal period."

"Pray tell, what's that like?"

I chuckled, knowing that the "divine" still had flaws.

"Jitters. I just can't stand still. It makes for some crazy antics."

Closing the book, I ran my hand along it's leather spine. When I turned around, Dad was looking at me with a stare of guilty horror before turning away in infandous muteness. 

"You remind him of Light."

"Light?"

"Yes. Light Yagami."

"Funny... He came over to our house with the rest of the task force."

"I remember that."

"Wasn't he the young guy with the brown hair?"

"Same color as yours."

Very similar. I had golden highlights like Mom used to get the summers we frolicked outside flinging mudpies at trees. 

"So, I remind him of a guy. So what?"

"I dare ya to ask them."

"I just might."