Ten • Strange

There was a ringing in her ears. Running like a current through her head, throbbing behind her eyes. She was writhing in pain but the restraints were keeping her in place, her jaw aching as her teeth clenched.

She could still hear them talking but she couldn't focus on their voices; couldn't pick out any words or make sense of what they were saying. All she knew was that they were there. They were all there, standing around her as a constant stream of light penetrated the stone in her neck.

"So how do we do this?" asked Wanda, staring at her through the glass of the machine.

Her own connection to the mind stone was sending a dull throb down her back, as if she could feel Juno's pain. She tried to ignore it.

"I guess we just... do it," replied Bruce solemnly.

"This feels so wrong," she said.

"It's the most humane way to do it."

She sighed.

"Banner's right," said Sam. "You could have destroyed it back there in the street, blew her to pieces, ended it all. This is... better."

There was a long silence amongst the team, a collective nod and sigh as they shifted on their feet and folded their arms.

"Alright then," said Bruce.

He walked up to a large screen and touched it, bringing it to life.

"Wait."

They turned to Stephen. He was standing at the edge of the room, his face cut and bloodied, his cloak swaying gently.

"I want to talk with her," he said. "Alone."

"We're not taking her out of the machine," said Sam.

"Then don't."

"How do we know you won't?" asked Rhodey.

"I helped you put her in there. I told you when the time came, I'd make the right decision. And I did. You have no reason not to trust me."

They looked around at each other. exchanging glances, talking without words. He let out a huff and stepped towards Wanda. She watched as he slipped the Eye of Agamotto from around his neck and placed it carefully in her hands.

"Take this as my word."

She looked down at it, then up at the others as they watched with confused stares.

"You can trust him," said Peter nervously. "W-when we were in space, he told Mr Stark he'd let us die before he let anything happen to that necklace."

"Not a necklace," Stephen added.

Rhodey rolled his eyes and sighed. "Okay. Alright, fine." He pointed his finger at Stephen. "I swear to god..."

"I said you have my word," he replied sternly.

They filed out of the room, leaving him alone with the hum of the machine. He turned his head, letting his cloak soar off his shoulders and wrap tightly around the door handle, making sure no one could get back in.

Juno's eyes were closed, her head bowed as she hovered face-down in the machine. Suddenly, the ringing stopped, like an easing headache, and her thoughts became clear again. She remained still, listening carefully to the sound of his footsteps as they stopped in front of her.

"I know you can hear me," he said.

She lifted her head slowly, opening her eyes to see him on the other side of the glass.