Choosing an Agent

At this point, I was still uploading a chapter every two weeks to Wattpad and the book still wasn't finished, but I needed to buy myself some time. I wanted to sign with an agent before the entire book had been uploaded online, so I stopped uploading while this was all happening. I had numerous phone calls with the American agents and meetings with all the UK agents.

My first meeting was with Juliet Mushens, an agent who offered representation within three hours. She had read the manuscript immediately and sent me a long email telling me what she loved about it and listing all the books she thought had influenced it, getting most of them right. I met with her and we immediately clicked. I was especially impressed by the great deals she had made for her stable of authors, the way her writers supported each other and met each other regularly and her deep understanding of the book itself. Like me, Juliet was young and driven, not to mention the fact that she had achieved a great deal in just three years of being an agent. I knew that I was just beginning my career and wanted to find someone who would be with me all the way.

All of the other agents had many positive qualities and it was very difficult to decide, especially as they were all highly skilled salespeople and negotiators. It would turn out to be one of the most difficult decisions of my life. The day I had to  decide came far too quickly. The night before I changed my mind a dozen times, but the final decision before I fell asleep was Juliet.

The morning after, I emailed everyone to let them know my decision: Juliet was the right agent for me, come what may.

 **************************************************************************************

If you are enjoying reading this, please don't hesitate to vote! Feel free to comment and ask questions, I'll always try and respond when I can :). Don't forget to look out for Summoner: The Novice in your local bookstores or if you're feeling extra excited, you can preorder the book using the links on my profile, or searching for it in your usual online bookstore. 

All the best! 

Taran