Prologue: Do You Remember?

Luna Rivers:

...I remember you and I rushing out of bed that wretched morning, sharing matching Cheshire grins. I remember us jumping on Jade as she was setting the table and her feign annoyance as she turned around to give us a playful scowl. I remember the pancakes we ate that morning, decorated with colorful sprinkles and whipped cream. I remember the games we played and the presents we had opened after breakfast, as Mom said it was too cold to go outside. I remember Mom's smiling face as she brought out the cake lit with six tiny candles which sparkled in the artificial lights of the kitchen.

Then?

Then, I remember hearing screaming as the window shattered... I remember watching, as if in slow motion, the cake fall to the floor... Mom fall to the floor as the first bullet hit her. Hit the one who would sing us lullabies to help us sleep. I remember mom telling Jade to take us and run, and to never come back as she slowly bleed out from the wound on her chest. I remember watching as the cake and mom's blood slowly began to mix. I remember the candles dancing on the floor as if they were laughing.

I remember.

I remember the cruel wind pushing harshly against our backs. I remember the sound of the wind whistling through my ears as we ran... I remember hearing the strangled cry rush past Jade's pale lips. The one that would haunt my dreams to come. The tears of pain gathering in her eyes. As she stumbled as blood ran down her leg. I remember her screaming at us to leave her... and the sound of another bullet being shot....

I remember her lurch forward from the speed of the bullet that had entered the back of her head.

Oh how I remember!

I remember the dark blood that decorated the once clear white snow. I remember the beauty of the fragile snowflakes dancing in the harsh winter wind. I remember the ice slipping underneath our feet as we ran from the ones we called our home. I remember the cold seeping into our skin... seeping into my heart.

I remember the twists and turns of those alleyways we traveled down together. I remember the shadows chasing us through that maze-like city. I remember the crevices we hid in, the sewers we traveled through. I remember the fear, shock and grief we felt as we hid like prey from their predators. I remember the red and blue lights dancing in the streets, the one our lovely neighbors had called, on their way to that dreadful scene. I remember the uniforms of those guys in blue who had found us hiding in the dark.

I remember that stupid blanket the medics put on you and I. I remember those two women who came up to us. I remember the ringing in my ears and the pain in my chest as they spoke their words, like honey dripping off their lips. Those snakes in disguise.

"I remember that day... The day I lost everything."

"Do you?"