Shadows of the Past

As I handed out one of the last coffees on that Halloween night, a contented sigh escaped me as I settled in at the counter. Reflecting on the uncertain days when we first acquired this space, anxiety had gripped me, fearing the possibility of failure. Even Lillian, bolder than I, shared my unease. As I gently wiped down the counters, the cackling of the witch-shaped doorbell startled me, a small giggle escaping as I realized we had swapped out the bells. My attention turned to the entrance as Athena bolted in, her arrival accompanied by a hidden treat I had prepared for this special time of year – Skull Food, a tiny pastry resembling a skull filled with cream. Placing it on the counter, I watched as Athena's crystal blue eyes widened.

"You saved me one?" she exclaimed. I nodded and handed it to her.

"I did, my sweet pea. Please go sit and enjoy it, babe; I don't want your beautiful witch outfit to get ruined." She nodded and darted off. Glancing toward her father once she was out of earshot, I offered my gratitude. "Thank you for adopting her; she is an amazing little girl." I smiled, striving to maintain an even tone, unwilling to reveal the impact this man had on me.

"My company went to do some volunteer work, and the moment I met her, I had to adopt her. Her spirit and love just glowed, and I couldn't walk away from her." His eyes remained fixed on her as she relished the skull-shaped treat, her face adorned with whipped cream. I chuckled softly, observing her swing her legs in delight with each bite. "Athena," he called gently, prompting her to pause mid-bite and glance up. "Slow down, baby girl; you'll get a tummy ache. Remember that bag next to you." He chuckled as her wide blue eyes shifted down to her pillowcase filled with treats. "She tie-dyed that pillowcase herself. She got it right before she left the orphanage. She received the costume as a gift before she left as well. It took me ages to have her finally get it off, only for Halloween to be two days after." He chuckled, glancing at me. "She dearly loves you, you know?" His emerald gaze penetrated mine. "She called you Momma Artie for a while. I had no idea it was the same coffee girl from last year until we came in tonight. By the way..." His voice took on a gravelly tone. "Why did you never call?" His intense stare never wavered, and I shifted uncomfortably as a burning sensation crept up my body.

"I had a fiancé at the time, and he was slightly controlling. I just didn't want to start issues." I glanced at my hands, memories of our breakup flooding my mind, a constant reminder on my favorite day. Can't believe it has been a year. Shaking my head slightly, I composed myself and moved forward. "We broke up about a year ago, so I guess I just forgot." Trying not to let my eyes betray me. How the hell do you forget this guy...

"I see, forgot...do you still have my number?" His quick analysis left me flustered. Heat surged into my face and ears. Damn, he caught me.

"I might, I'd have to check the safe if I do. We put tips and such in there, so if I still have it, it would be in there." Gently pointing to the back where Lillian was keeping an eye on me.

"Hmm, I see. Well...do you happen to have an office where we can talk? This is kind of important, and I would like to speak with you privately." I gulped and nodded.

"Let me grab Lillian, and I'll show you back." Shuffling into the back and finding Lillian jamming out to Monster Mash. Quickly clicking the song off and staring.

"Hello! I was jamming!" Her wings flapped as she stomped towards the jukebox to flick Monster Mash back on.

"Yes, but I need to talk with Mystery Man, so I need you to keep an eye on the front and on Athena, his new daughter." Her eyes grew wider as I spoke, grabbing her coffee and sprinting toward the front.

"Oh, damn! Yep, I'm heading to the front. Have fun with that." Her speed increased, smacking me with her wings in the process. Slowly, I headed up, thankful I didn't go all out like I normally did for my costume this year.

"Hey, Mr..." I realized I never asked his name.

"Dolivo, but please call me Ambrose." I nodded and smiled. "Well, Mr. Dolivo, please head back with me."

"Ambrose, my love. Please, call me Ambrose," I uttered, leading him through the buzzing kitchen and toward the side door. His discerning eyes surveyed every nook and cranny of our quaint store, and an unspoken anxiety surged within me, hoping the ambiance met his expectations. As we crossed the threshold into the office, a space that had gradually morphed into my own sanctuary, I concentrated on regulating my breath.

"Please, have a seat," I gestured toward the well-worn chairs that bore the impressions of past meetings. "What brings you here?" Settling into my chair, I locked eyes with Ambrose.

"Well, Miss Snow, it seems that I've acquired your building." His revelation left me momentarily speechless, and I quickly shut my mouth, sensing an unexpected anger bubbling beneath the surface. The building wasn't technically ours, but with every ounce of effort and dedication poured into it, it felt like ours.

"You purchased our building?" I managed to force the words through clenched teeth, grappling with the sudden surge of indignation. I couldn't quite fathom the source of this visceral reaction.

"Yes, my company and I did, indeed. The previous owner was in a downward spiral, nearly dragging your business along with his. Now, it appears that I hold the fate of your establishment in my hands. Given that, I thought it prudent to have a conversation with you..." Ambrose reclined, studying my face as I struggled to rein in my emotions. "Now, I find myself at the crossroads of deciding the destiny of your business. I wanted to discuss..." I gulped, leaning forward slightly.

"What exactly would you like to discuss, Mr. Dolivo?"

"Well," he paused, surveying the room, "It's not so much a discussion as it is a proposal, or an offer, if you will." His eyes maintained a steady gaze on mine.

"May I inquire about the nature of this proposal?" I fidgeted with the vibrant red wig, my hands seeking an outlet for the disquiet within.

"Hmm, yes, I suppose you could." Ambrose sat up gently, taking my hands in his. "Bear a child with me, and I will ensure your business remains here." I yanked my hands away, rising from my seat and knocking over my chair in the process.

"What did you just ask of me!?"

"Grant me an heir..."

"Mr. Do-."

"Ambrose...please," I cleared my throat.

"Ambrose, I...I'm not certain what kind of woman you take me for, but please leave." I opened the door quietly. "I believe you've mistaken me for a woman of ill repute, so I must insist that you leave." Shaking, my emotions fluctuating from anger to a strange undercurrent of excitement, I pondered the implications. Could it be that I was being perceived as something I wasn't? Standing by the door, I watched him slowly rise and approach.

"Now, I won't leave until my daughter finishes her treat. Besides, I think you owe me, at the very least, a proper meeting." I glared, the simmering rage coloring my face.

"A proper meeting? Are you serious?" I gripped the doorknob harder, attempting to restrain myself. "I don't owe you a proper meeting. You've propositioned me to be your... your paramour, and I've already declined." Trying to maintain a calm demeanor, I struggled against the growing anger.

"Please," he handed over his business card and smiled. "I genuinely believe we need to converse in a more suitable setting, and perhaps, once you've had a chance to reflect, we can discuss this further." He smiled as I grabbed the card from his hand. "I'll retrieve Athena, and then we'll be out of your hair, allowing you to tend to your responsibilities." I nodded, watching his footsteps grow more distant as he exited, leaving me alone with my tumultuous thoughts, fixated on the blank expanse of the office wall.